Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i installed a new used carb on my 340 was wondering where to start with the tuning i heard to start about 2 turns out from all the way in on the mixture screw and then what about the other cable on the oppisite side of the throttle that runs down to the block area whats that for and how do i know where to have it adjusted...

on second note the choke cable does not exsist so how should i go about by passing that ?? the little round plug with a needle inside that moves up and down just bounces around in there is it supposed to be up or down or what in the diagram i looked at there is a spring that looks like it should hold it down??? anyways i can get it to run but its dogish and will randomly bog down and die .... any help would be nice thanks..

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
no choke will make it hell to start when cold. mine were 1.5 out if that helps i could check the others tomorrow

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
The "other" cable goes to the oil injection to vary the mixture with the throttle position.

You should replace the cable, if the enricher plunger, "needle", is opening, it is alowing more fuel in the mixture, making it run too rich. It is supposed to be down, when running. Up from the cable on cold starts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "other" cable goes to the oil injection to vary the mixture with the throttle position.

You should replace the cable, if the enricher plunger, "needle", is opening, it is alowing more fuel in the mixture, making it run too rich. It is supposed to be down, when running. Up from the cable on cold starts.
AHHHH yes that makes sence now the cable seems to work fine but there is a screw to adjust this and im not sure where to put it... i have it about half way right now....were you saying there is a way to tell if its working properly?? on the block side of that cable?? should i just look at it and make sure the needle is moving freely then adjust it from there?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Run the engine, pull the cable to full throttle, while the engine is still idling. It starts smoking more, it works.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
word up thanks!! so basicaly i want to set it as rich as i can without loosing peformance

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
always better rich then lean youll use more oil but thats better than burnin a piston.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess my only problem now is with the damn choke ... the little round plug with the needle on the end that would usually connect to the choke cable is just bouncing around in there because there is no cable to connect it to. cant i just jb weld a nail to it and move it manually up or down to turn the choke on or off? or couldnt i just plug the hole and put my hand over the carb to choke it or does the choke needle have to be in there in the right posisition for it to run correctly??

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
step away from the sled! another step away from the tool box! dont even attempt to try what you are considering. i may have some manual pull plungers somewhere i would give you as opposed to you completely trashing the carb or ultimately killing the sled.

the parts are pretty much universal. got a motorcycle or 4 wheeler not in use?

i had to rebuild a 4 wheeler this summer after some azzhat jb welded the carb. absolutely uncalled for. if you cant afford a $10 part, you cant afford the jb weld. do it right!

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
There isn't a choke, it opens up a passageway that lets more fuel in. You should buy a new cable, it will make run better.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
There isn't a choke, it opens up a passageway that lets more fuel in. You should buy a new cable, it will make run better.
call it what you want, most people wouldnt understand the term "enrichener" and its most commonly referred to as a "choke". thats because it does exactly that. it "chokes" the air intake and adds or "enrichens" the fuel. have you ever even actually pulled one apart and observed the actions of that particular circuit? doubt it.

i, for one, feel that this site WAS a good source for information and there were alot of experienced and knowledgable individuals who ADDED content.

maybe i am just pissy for what ever reasons, and i apologize ahead of time for any attitude, but you have totally struck a nerve with me. its people like you that dont know chit from shinola that ruins it for the countless others that seek quality information. your inexperienced spewing about this and that which you have absolutley no knowledge or understanding about is misleading, and quite frankly, downright scary. wheres your ritalin?

i came to this site, i feel i have contributed alot, but with pipsqeaks like you around, i am out of here.

if anyone else is following, i can be emailed for info. $1000 for a phazer crank balance and $1200 for a vmax one? WTF? dont take it as a personal attack, take it as think about the crap your typing before you hit the reply button. oh, well, never mind.

·
Registered
321 Posts
hey Yamadad, hope your just having one of those moments. I tend to enjoy your replies. Everyone probably understands there are more than one opinion on here and you are pretty much on your own as to who to trust and not. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for listening. Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HEY HEY GUYS SO BICKERING I HAVE LEARNED A LOT ALREADY!!!

anyways i suppose i can get ahold of a new cable.... and i see how it work now ;) it works like a cold start injector on a fuel injected car...so when the "choke" is pulled it lifts the needle thus allowing more fuel...pretty much i want the needle up untill its warmed then i can push it back down and start messing with the mixture.. is there a low end needle to or just the one mixture screw.. i also do have an old quad i could try and take the cable off of.. anyways sorry if any of my questions seemed dum but i learned a lot and thanks everyone for the help!!

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
call it what you want, most people wouldnt understand the term "enrichener" and its most commonly referred to as a "choke". thats because it does exactly that. it "chokes" the air intake and adds or "enrichens" the fuel. have you ever even actually pulled one apart and observed the actions of that particular circuit? doubt it.

i, for one, feel that this site WAS a good source for information and there were alot of experienced and knowledgable individuals who ADDED content.

maybe i am just pissy for what ever reasons, and i apologize ahead of time for any attitude, but you have totally struck a nerve with me. its people like you that dont know chit from shinola that ruins it for the countless others that seek quality information. your inexperienced spewing about this and that which you have absolutley no knowledge or understanding about is misleading, and quite frankly, downright scary. wheres your ritalin?

i came to this site, i feel i have contributed alot, but with pipsqeaks like you around, i am out of here.

if anyone else is following, i can be emailed for info. $1000 for a phazer crank balance and $1200 for a vmax one? WTF? dont take it as a personal attack, take it as think about the crap your typing before you hit the reply button. oh, well, never mind.
Well sorry, I got this info from my uncle on the crank rebuild. and being That my sled is 31 years old I guess it would be different.

·
Registered
321 Posts
can you send me a pic of your carb. i might have the cable you need in some salvage things i keep out in the garage. send it to [email protected] and I'll get back to you. no I'm not a dealer just willing to help a fellow sledder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can you send me a pic of your carb. i might have the cable you need in some salvage things i keep out in the garage. send it to [email protected] and I'll get back to you. no I'm not a dealer just willing to help a fellow sledder.
HECK YA I CAN!!! tomarrow morning ill send ya a pic or let you know if i can scrap one together off our old quad would i diagram of the same carb work or do you want the pic of my real carb?? anyways ill just send the diagram tonight and ill try to get yo ua pic early tomarrow THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
A spring goes on the cable then you hold the spring back and install plunger on end of cable releasing the spring holds the plunger on the cable and also makes sure plunger is totally seated when starter is in the off position. The plunger is not heavy enuff to stay seated on its own. Brand new cable is around $15.00 you need to order spring and plunger separate if needed.

The correct air pilot screw adjustment on the enticer 340 is one turn out to start with and adjust 1/4 turn +- to fine tune.

Once idle is set correctly (aprox 1600 rpm when warmed up) adjust oil cable free play to 1". Do this by lifting the cable out of the tube that mounts to the carb. Screw tube in or out till you have 1" of cable when lifted. If you later adjust idle you should check and adjust oil cable free play as it changes when you move throttle position.

Make sure you have a mm or so of slack on the throttle cable so if you try to back off idle w/ idle screw it doesn't hang up on cable.

Good luck, I have 4 older enticers, 80', 84',87',340s and an 89' 400. I love em (when there running lol).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts