Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got a 1979 yamaha enticer 250 for free from a family member. it had been sitting in and open garage since 2000. was told it had bad crank seals and that the carb wasnt working right will. i stated pulling it apart today and cleaned gas tank out and put fresh gas in. so if i spray gas into the carb it will run until it burns off that gas. tomorrow im getting new fuel lines for it and new fuel filter.

here are some numbers i pulled off the carb.

QCO2 & 8G5O1 anyone know what these are for?

ive heard there is a good carb to run and a bad one. can someone tell me what carb exactly i have

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Fuel lines and filter are the Least of what you need! With bad seals you will need to pull the motor out and Completely apart! Piston, gasket set and seals! A carb kit complete with the fuel pump diaphram!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
looks like the standard keihin carb consistent with yamahas.

your 8G501 is the yamaha part number, the QC02 would be keihins' number.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
wish there was. finding parts that fit is one of the larger hurdles, getting the associated parts out with out damage is typically next on the list.

i always wanted to find a replacement carb with corresponding flanges and do away with the tempermental pumper carb, add a remote fuel pump and be done with that hard to tune carb.

long time since i had one of those. when they run, they run good.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
Renagade had his apart and gave up and sold the sled!
yep ive rebuilt several hundred carbs, and
had that enticer carb off 8times after i
rebuilt it. biggest pain in the butt ever.
i got an offer i couldnt refuse, so i waved
bye bye to that carb, i mean sled. lol

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
that would be a good start, but i think the bravos ran like a 32mm carb and the et250's had like a 38? never could figure that one out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it looks.like the other type if carb is hard to find. So I think Im going to try and rebuild the factory one any specific rubuild kit I guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
it will cost you a bit more if the parts are still available, but the oem parts will fit. problem i have run into with the kits from the aftermarkets is about half or better of the kit parts dont seem to fit.

there are a few out there that have specific kits for the keihin carbs, seems like winderosa had a good match.

assuming you can get all the hard parts out like jets, choke plunger, etc, its the diaphragms you need to refresh the carb. you need to take your time and not animal the parts you need to reuse and cant replace.

orientation is key as you have many options as to which way they could go. pictures or markings during the removal process will simplify the rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
tear it down, dip it in some Gunk or any chemical dip (watch out for anything plastic or gaskets) Gunk eats them. After cleaning replace all the gaskets.. Make sure to blow out the jets with air after dunking.
if you want to replace the carb change it to a mikuni slidebore!(35mm?)
you will get better throttle response and its a all the way around better carb.

but i have rebuilt about 5 of those carbs.. not that hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ny wifes 78 has same carb since new.never rebuilt it either. we run premium gas 50 to one synthetic oil. every spring i run it dry and fog the motor,. every fall i prime it thru spark plug and it starts one pull. ,i have bought her 4 new sleds since that she hated. so the last 3 yrs ha been only the old ET. son spray bombed it black..said reds no good.. shes 67 and loves the outdoors

1 - 18 of 18 Posts