Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, this little 340 kohler that used to be in this sled ate CDI boxes like candy. so here was my idea for a fix, throw a 440 kawasaki motor from a artic cat in it. heres pics.

if anybody knows what plugs and fuel mix ratio this engine takes, i'd really appreciate it, as it has mis-matched plugs, just using fuel i mixed for my raider to bark it on. runs good, hopefully it'll be more reliable/ faster than the 340.

heres the little 340:

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the exhaust needs to finish being plumbed throught he floor like the stock system, or just dumped out the back of the hood like the earlier style raiders, like my green one. this is the origional exhaust from the sled i stole the motor from, the exhaust outlet faced forward in the sled, so i cut it off, rotated it about 180 degrees, and welded it back. the exhaust was time consuming, the brakets from the muffler to the top of the engine are kinda goofy, but all i could come up with. cutting and drilling the stock engine plate to accept the 440 was the most difficult and irritating part, all had to be right to make sure the engine sat completely perpendicular to the chassis and was the right distance left to right for the belt to line up perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my next step is to get some gas for it so i can run it for a few minutes and determine if the carb needs rebuilding or not, altho it ran pretty good int he other sled for the short time i had it running before pulling it out. it needs a throttle cable made, no biggie, had it done before, since you can't buy 8 foot throttle cables off the shelf. then i'll have to hook the electrical up. its no biggie after i basically re-wired the other raider, shoudlnt be that big of a deal, real simple wiring.

PS-- Any feedback or comments appreciated

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
between work and school, i rebuilt the carb, possably the most horrable carb i've yet to see, and now it'll run and pump fuel on its own, and not just run on what you feed it with a squirter. i also got the exhaust almost finished. just need to do the 45's to plumb it out the floor with a rubber hanger. throttle cable will be done tomarrow, 18 bucks. i traded a rusty opel that barely drove i got for free for a pontiac grand prix, that i in turn traded to my father for these sleds. so i have a grand total of 22 dollars in it, it sounds mean as hell and surely going to blow my other raider out of the hole.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i have the swap finished, all lights, kill switches, ect work. just need a exhaust hanger for extra support, and put the rear hood back on. will post finial finished pics of anyone cars to see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts