Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone give type me a quick chart of where my RPM versus my MPH should be at on my sled. I'm trying to tell if my clutch is engaging fully. 1995 Ski-Doo MXZ. Also, may I "floor" the gas from a stand still, or will I over-rev it doing that?

Here's what I know so far:
4800 - Clutch Engages
6500 - 25 MPH
7500 - ?
8500 - ?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't know about the mph-rpm, but to answer the question, yes you can floor the throttle. Redline is probably around 9000 rpm, but the centrifugal clutch system of a snowmobile controls the rpm. Once the rpms get high, they pretty much stay where there at and you'll still accelerate. Go ahead and floor it. I drag race on the ice all the time, and im at full throttle for a full 1/4 mile or more. The only time you'll really over rev is if you take the belt off, which should not be done.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
You can floor it from idle
Should spin the track, but even on ice with my sled I've never seen the MPH go over 50mph while still standing still, then again, i just have a lil 370

To tell if you're clutch is engaging fully
- top speed now vs. Best top speed
If your top speed now is near your best top speed then I'd say your clutch is engaging fully, at high RPM's anyways...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. I've just need to wait for some more snow it sounds like so I can floor it once and see how it reacts at 8500 RPM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mark you clutch sheaths to see if the belt is moving evenly on the clutches

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with 583rider. Just use a marker on the flat part of your clutch where the belt rides. Draw a line from the shaft to the outside of the sheath. The belt will wear the mark off. If the mark rubs off all the way to the outside of the clutch, your belt is good and your clutch is fully engaging at top speed. If the mark is not being worn down near the outside of the sheath, check your belt condition first, and then look at clutching problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts