Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of a new 2011 Arctic Cat TZ1 Turbo LXR. I asked the dealer for two gallons of 4 stroke oil for future oil changes. He gave me part #2639-575 semi-synthetic 0-30W. The owners manual calls for part # 5639-173 synthetic 0-40W. I'm going to send the semi-synthetic oil back and have him send me the correct oil.

My dilemma - I checked the oil level and it's down to the low mark where it says to add 1/3QT. I'm not sure which type of oil to use to top it off because I don't know what's in there now.

My question-
Do sleds come pre-filled with engine oil from the factory? If they do, I'll assume it has the synthetic oil. If not, my dealer would have added the oil and they may have used the semi-synthetic. I don't want to mix the oil.

I'd ask the dealer but at this point I don't really trust that I would get a straight answer (long story).

Comments?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
if you cant trust the dealer, for what its worth change the oil now

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you cant trust the dealer, for what its worth change the oil now
I think I might do that.

I should elaborate on the dealer....
The owner is a really nice guy. The reason I don't really trust them with this oil issue is the parts guy seemd to have a hard time figuring out what type of oil my sled used. He probably spent 20 minutes researching it. After listening to him and the owner discussing it for all that time, I had zero confidence that the oil they sold me was the correct type.

I would have figured it out on my own but I tried for a month to find the owners manual online to no avail. Arctic cat provides basically ZERO service to their customers through their web site. You can't even submit a comment to them. EVERYTHING is done through their dealers. I think the CEO needs to read a book on customer service. He/she might learn something.

I thought finding the correct oil would be a slam dunk. The owner did say they sell very few 4 stroke sleds. He said they sell 2 stroke mountain sleds almost exclusively. Still, I would think an Arctic Cat parts guy would know what oil my sled used - without even looking it up. And, if he did have to look it up, that information should have been readily available.

So, the owner is a great guy and the parts guy was very nice. But, they did not know what oil my sled used...

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
thats what happends with new stuff i had a hard time getting an answer on the correct clutch puller for my sled, i had to figure it out! run what the manual calls for and do the oil change for peace of mind

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Ask the Stealer what he put in? He did it! I would use the semi syn this season, and switch to the full syn next year!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sled comes with arctic cat 0-w 40 full synthetic from the factory. Only use this oil for top ups and full changes. Also, check oil level in this sled when engine is at operating temperature.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This sled comes with arctic cat 0-w 40 full synthetic from the factory. Only use this oil for top ups and full changes. Also, check oil level in this sled when engine is at operating temperature.
Perfect! I've got 0W-40 on order. I let the sled warm up for about ten minutes today rather than 5 minutes the other day and the oil level now indicates just above the MIN line when warm. I think it just needs another 1/4QT or so to top it off.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts