Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Arctic Cat forum but now see this place....here's the question.

I have this 98 Puma 340 that could use a little extra power for deep snow and hills. Is there a dual carb kit for this engine? I'd like to up the horsepower....I know, I know.....get a bigger sled.

Any suggestions?

Ryp

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ill give it a whirl. New top end unless compression its up to snuff. Reeds, pipe and can but not a LOUD one, Larger carb or jets possibly, for more take-off a lower drive gear, higher top-end a larger gear. Lighten the sled meaning no unecessary weight, a quickshot nitrous setup...j/k. OR, save up some jing and slap a bigger motor in that chassis and leave the factory 340 stickers on it, thatll wow them. There was a rev 600 on ebay with a 809 tripple bigbore crammed into it, image getting owned by that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, sounds reasonable to me. Weight reduction is "safe" horsepower (I'm an old hot-rodder and have built some engines)....so it looks like some forethought will be in order. This Puma has got to be the heaviest 340 I've ridden. My little Enticer 340 BLOWS this Puma AWAY.

The compression is probably close to stock, it has low miles and easy riding. The sled belonged to a grampa that used to let his kids ride it in the yard, basically. How about a slight shave of the head...just a tad?

While I've got you here......Will I need a different manifold if going to a bigger carb since there will be different diameter sizes?

Ryp

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think you are crazy trying to mod this sled. You would be better off ( and save money ) just selling the sled and buying a bigger one. It's your time and money though so do what you want.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
i think it'd be cool to see what you could get out fo an old 340. i thought about messing with my 380, but my dad decided to go with the 500, due to it's advantages: LC, and studded.

a 98 340 is heavy? my 93 380 is light. if i ever ran out of gas (which is impossible with that thing), i could just carry it to the next station! why is it heavy? smaller engine, and it's not like it's some old sled where the belly pan is steel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skidoo_magoo said:
i think it'd be cool to see what you could get out fo an old 340. i thought about messing with my 380, but my dad decided to go with the 500, due to it's advantages: LC, and studded.

a 98 340 is heavy? my 93 380 is light. if i ever ran out of gas (which is impossible with that thing), i could just carry it to the next station! why is it heavy? smaller engine, and it's not like it's some old sled where the belly pan is steel.

I think it's heavy for it's size....not as heavy as say a 440 panther with elec start. But it's heavy for a 340 engine. It seems to run quite healthy and has not been beaten but for some reason just lacks any "snap" at all. My 80 (or so) yamaha enticer flat blows this thing away, they should at least be in the same ballpark.

Probably going to do some thinking on this and see what I can come up with. If it's costing major dollars it will be best to leave as is. I might do a slight shave on the heads...enough for more pop but not enough to cause problems. Weight will be the issue to investigate as there seems to be plenty but not sure what to cut.

There is a possibility it's a few years older than 98 but not much older...have to ask the prev owner:D

I've got a neighbor that works on sleds so he can coach me.

Ryp

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok....it's a 94 Puma and the manual says 437lbs dry weight.

Our snow has melted so I'll have some time with it in the shop to check fuel lines and pickup, throttle opening and such. We've got a 3 day ride coming up in Jan.

Ryp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts