Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 MXZ Adrenline 800 is acting very strange. When idling the RPMS climb and the skidoo jolts forward for a second then idles back down to normal, then does the same thing again and again and again and again. i dont know why it does this, Does anyone know?:dunno:

·
Registered
126 Posts
sounds like it may be leaning out. inspect your y-pipe and carb boots very carefully for any cracks and make sure the y-pipe is tight. revs are very notorious for these parts failing and letting in extra air and could cost you big in the long run.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does leaning out mean? Where is they y pipe and the carb boots located? And exactly how bad could this get and what will it coast to fix? Thanks :)

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Well, if you let it lean out (starved of fuel) it could run hot and melt your piston, which could mean $100s of dollars. If you correct it now it could cast you $20. The carb boot is located between the intake manifold (Y-pipe) and carb. Also it could be a crankcase seal. Test by spraying starting fluid on the parts with engine running. If RPMs go up you found it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if my skidoo is leaning out, starving of fuel, the RPMS wouldent go up and the engine wouldent engage wile it is just sitting there , wouldent it sut it's self off?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well if my skidoo is leaning out, starving of fuel, the RPMS wouldent go up and the engine wouldent engage wile it is just sitting there , wouldent it sut it's self off?
hence why most sleds run the best right up to point they fry. :)

is this sled EFI or carb, if its carb i would remove the carbs and clean them, and start from there.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If it's leaning out, it'll act exactly as you describe what is going on.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
It's not losing any fuel in the mixture, it's just getting too much air in this case. This means bigger explosions and a hotter engine.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
It's not losing any fuel in the mixture, it's just getting too much air in this case. This means bigger explosions and a hotter engine.
Yep!

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Leaning out means that either more air or less fuel is entering the combustion chamber. It makes the sled idle higher, not make it shut off. You probably have an air leak somewhere. Do the starting fluid trick and then go from there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was looking at the y npipe in the front part of the engine and there is a pold missing on one side and it looks like oil is leeking out of there, could this be it?

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
While idling .. spray some brake kleen around the carbs and see if it changes at all .. this will point out where and if you have a vacuum leak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts