Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
Looking for a wiring schematic for a 1978 Yamaha 250ET (Enticer). Sled runs great. This is a lighting problem. They all work but the headlight is very dim. When the brake lever is engaged, brake light brightens as normal, but the headlight also brightens to normal brightness as well. A diagram would be a great help.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I have one and will try to get it on here....

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
ok got it but too big for this forum. I can email it if you want.
This is actually for a 1980 300ET but the same except the ignition.
These 250s use points. I do have the same sled but not running right now.
Let me know.
Vic

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool.... sent you a PM.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vic, that's just what was looking for.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting question..... The wiring diagram was perfect, again thanks for that. But I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the wiring. I'm pretty sure the voltage regulator is bad. Single wire style, not to expensive. Got to do some tests on the old VR before the new one gets ordered. It's been raining like a bastard here for a few days. The outstanding conditions we had are now crap, so the young fella is not missing out on any sledding.
Later

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I will try to help. I am having a problem with my 80 enticer300 with nothing electrical working. It all worked well last ride(4 years ago). Tried a different regulator, nothing I do have another lighting coil but couldn't get the one out of the 300 due to terrible tools. I checked the "new" one and the "bad" one with a multimeter and the readings were the same so I wonder if it's even bad. I checked a few other things and according to my meter, everything is ok. Both coils read .4 ohms and they both had lights at last run so I dont know. The regulator on my 300 is bolted under the right footstop. Let me see if I can see something on the diagram that could cause your problem.....

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
ok
If your taillight is normal and the headlight is dim and you hit the brake and the brakelight turns on and the headlight gets bright, I would say to check the headlight ground. Mine is right behind the right front bumper mount bolt. Check your beam switch to. Or pull out the whole harness and look for green corrosion where the wires split off. The thing that throws me off in this diagram is mine doesn't have a light switch in the key switch. I looks like on mine whenever its running, all lights should work. Maybe they just run all 4 wires to the ign switch and connect 2 pairs when key is on. Mine says "ign off and on/lights. I am not sure of my 250. Like I said, I haven't touched it in a while but should be the same.
Sorry to keep going on but yours does sound like a ground problem. There are grounds all over the place I see.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did check the grounds stemming from the wiring harness and all showed good. Beam switch is ok as well. But, I have not checked the actual headlight plug ground it self. The wiring has connectors right before the headlight plug..... I'll keep you updated.

As far as the ignition switch goes, this sled's has been removed. Removed it a few years ago, lost the key. Yes the key switch had three positions. Off; On - no lights; and On - with lights. Essentially, the switched light blue wires become live all the time. I have it wired as if the ignition was still there and in the On - with lights position.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
At least I THINK I have only 2 key positions.hehehe
I am goint to check for shorted wires in the yellow one to any other wire. Maybe they got pinched or something and now are making contact.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I found my problem. The wires were shorted together for the taillight under the front of the seat. There was a mouse nest here as well. He chewed all the wires and shorted the yellow wire right to ground. After I fixed it, I ran it to be sure. Everything worked great. We got snow the next day and the thing hardly ran. Now the thing isnt getting fuel, but the lights work great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts