Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 ZL500 which is having electrical problems. The dealer tells me the stator is bad and wants $750 to fix. A local electrical shop suggests I pull the stator and test it before having the dealer replace the stator. It could be as simple as a broken wire. I prefer to attempt the repair myself.

Can I pull the flywheel with a gear type puller or will I need to purchase a special puller?

Does anyone know the specs for testing the stator? I have ordered a repair manual but it won't arrive for days and the snow is falling.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
what kind of electrical problems are you having? one way to test if the stator is good is to unplug the main wire harness from where the stator comes out and jump the black and brown wire if it runs then its not the stator this is what i had to do, but my sled is a 93 ext 580 not sure if wires will be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sled runs great when cold, but was backfiring when it was warm. The warmer it gets, the more it backfires.

The dealer did some troubleshooting and feels the stator is the culprit.

This past weekend I pulled off the recoil and am down to the flywheel which I need to get a puller to remove. It looks like I will also need a 2-cycle timing light, degree wheel and dial indicator to set the timing once I get the stator replaced.

I have found a few places that can rebuild the stator for around $200 - much less than the $420 the dealer wanted.

I'm hoping the repair manual I ordered lists the resistance values for the stator and the coil so I can verify this is the actual problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts