Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little information on a 92 Indy Trail. I had a headlight bulb blow, both the high and low beams. It was the original I believe, and replaced it with a halogen replacement bulb (H4). I started the sled and the lights were working. I took it for a little ride (5 minute) and when I returned the light was out. I took the bulb out and found that the filaments were burned out. Anyone out there ever have a similar problem? Could it be the voltage regulator? All the other lights on the sled seem to be working fine.

Thinking the problem was the voltage regulator, I tried to see what the voltage at the bulb connector really was. I first tried measuring DC, but this showed only minimal voltage levels (millivolts). I switched the meter to AC and measured 16V. Is the electric system on this snowmobile some type of AC system? Can someone explain what I'm seeing here?

·
Registered
31 Posts
12VAC

Your right, the system on all machines is AC, approx. 12VAC. Electric start machines use 12VDC for the starting system only.
Your problem- you are likely right about it being the voltage reg. also when you put in a halagon bulb, do not touch the glass as the oil from your fingers will burn it out. Another thing is your tail lites [ & possibly even dash lites ] must work to help keep voltage down at higher RPM's. A bad reg. usually burns all bulbs.
Let us know how you make out.:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other Bulbs OK

The other bulbs on the sled are ok so far, tail lights and dash lights. Maybe they are just not as fragile as the head lights and can handle this moderate (16V doesn't seem that excessive to me) over voltage?

Thanks for reminding me about not touching the bulb....I've had some experience with a SAAB that had similar lights!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved

The problem was solved with the new voltage regulator. The headlights are not longer burning out.

Another thing that I noticed is the the handlebar warmers are no longed becoming excessively hot. I used to have to turn them off after only 10 minutes of being on. This is probably another good indication of problems with the voltage regulator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts