Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 SXViper and my lights are going dim then bright this is all of the lights not just the head lights and at an idle you can see a little flicker in the lights also when I switch from high beam to low the tac drops to zero then comes back up.So far ive tried changing the regulator and no change so then I went through ever connector made sure they were clean then put dilectric grease on them , also cleaned the ground.At idle im getting 11 volts and as soon as you come up off idle im getting 12 or a little better.Im pullin my hair out trying to figure this thing out so if any one has any kind of an idea of what to try next my ears are wide open.
Thanks
Rick:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i would take a look at all the wiring harnesses for any signs of rubs or chaffing. start at the main harness from the stator and work your way through to the handlebars and all the way to the cdi.

the wiring under the bars and back down to the cdi could be pinched and rubbed through, as could the loom under the engine heading to the hood.

can be a pain to find, just carefully inspect as much as you can for any abnormality in the harnesses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Yamadad I went threw all the wireing and it looks good, I think I might have found the problem one of the 3 white leads from the stator is open and the other two have .41 ohms resistance.I found a post on another site that someone else had the same problem and explained how he found it and how to check the stator if ive done it right its nfg.What do you think am I on the right track.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
stator test would be next. sounds like you have been there. of those three leads on that connector, you will only get a reading out of either of the two top white wires to the bottom wire, and .36-.44 is spec. top two wires to each other will show nothing for a reading.

next check the pickup coil. white/red to white/green should show 189-231 ohms.

you also have a headlight relay and a load control relay.
the rubs are hard to locate. think blue, blue/red or blue/white wires. thats the main feed for the lights and tach.

tailight, brake switch, high beam switch, looms to the hood, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the relays but am not sure how to check them, the load coil seems to check out, one thing I have found is the tail light seems to draw a lot when the brake is applied had the seat off and that section loos good next im going to make up a jumper to bypass the section that goes under the tank and see what that does.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update it ended up being the stator all because of a 25 cent screw. One of the screws for the metal plate that hold the stator harness in place came out and got jamed up between the coils and shorted it out, put the new one in today and all is good now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help Yamadad and yes on the blue locktight use it on most things where vibration is a concern,and now I can put the Ultra's in the head lights.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.