Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 Yamaha Excel III 340. I can’t get the electric start working. Brand new battery and universal solenoid, and I rebuilt the starter. Solenoid is clicking, and makes a humming noise. It is getting 12v at battery side of solenoid, and 4v at starter side. I switched the wires around and it does the same thing. I don’t know if I have something hooked up wrong or what. Any ideas? I don’t know much about electrical troubleshooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more digging, I found that the starter spins when it is not attached to the motor, but when I put it on, nothing. Just the previously mentioned whining noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
Welcome
You are not getting enough power to the starter
Is the solenoid grounded
Is the starter grounded
Connection clean and tight

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
If you put a jumper cable to the terminal to the starter will it start?
Try putting it to the small terminal and see

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you put a jumper cable to the terminal to the starter will it start?
Try putting it to the small terminal and see
No. It doesn’t seem to be working at all now. I wonder if I just need a different starter? I don’t really want to spend anymore money until I know it’s the problem though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it working. When spinning it by hand, I noticed a rough spot. I worked some WD-40 in it and got it spinning smoother, and cleaned the commutator, and it worked. It seems to be spinning the wrong way though. What would cause that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I figured out it works properly and spins the motor if it is hooked up backwards (negative to terminal, positive to starter case). I changed the brush plate, I thought maybe it was backwards, but it only fits one way. Any ideas what would cause this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts