Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2002 Yamaha SXViper 700
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...ever since finding out that my 1999 Yamaha Phazer 500 fan, gets crappy fuel mileage(approx. 10MPG) i wanted to do something about it...im thinking of taking off the original stock belt driven fan on the sled...and installing an electric fan instead, in hopes to get more horsepower and fuel mileage... the orignal stock fan uses a belt from the crankcase/engine, and is making the engine work harder to turn the belt and fan...this is the fan i was looking at getting....
Proform Electric Cooling Fan Electric Cooling Fans 67012
the fan is only $50...do you think it would be worth it to do the swap?, and would it be worth it even for the horsepower? thanks for the help in advance...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
not going to work... That fan is going to draw FAR more electrical power than a stator will give you. You will need an alternator to power it.

Electric fans in vehicles do give a slight performance increase, mainly because the fan doesn't run at interstate speeds. In a sled, you don't have spare power, and the fan is going to be running all the time more or less. (aka, even if you had enough power, it is still less efficient than a belt fan)

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
2 things, first 10 is good milage for an old 480 fan! Second that stator puts out AC current not DC! Unless you have an electric start! You would need a battery and rectifier! You would be better off just doing some porting, pipe work and reworking the skid to loose friction!

·
2002 Yamaha SXViper 700
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha...ok...thanks...i was talking to my mechanic about it and he said that i shouldnt touch the fan...that it wont work too....thanks for the info guys...any ideas on how to get better fuel mileage on my sled?, thanks again...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
like kccats mentioned, 10 isn't bad... Is that a canadian or US gallon?

Clutching and your belt will affect mileage. If you are going for max mileage, clutch it slightly lower. RPMs will kill mpg's. (too low and you end up using more fuel though)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.