Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1973 Elan 250 for FREE. I was supposed to pay him fifty bucks for it but he said not to worry about it. Anyway, it hasn't been running for nine years, and it's been sitting in a barn the whole time. I brought it home, replaced the fuel lines (old ones were hard as a rock), popped the starter on, sprayed some gas in the carb, and it started first thing.

Here's the problem, it wouldn't run on it's own at first, then i got it to run on it's own for about a minute. Now it won't run on it's own at all. I'm still cleaning it up so I haven't really looked at the motor yet, but does anyone have any ideas on what it might be so i can check out some specific areas?

I'm almost positive it is in the carb, there is a little bit of gas in the bowl, but it just spits gas back out the return line.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wow, if it ran at all after sitting that long it's probably just dirty or clogged up carbs. I'd just take the carb apart, clean it up and check all carb adjustments.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i was amazed it ran! The only problem was the gas tank had a leak, but i fiberglassed it and it's fine.

I'm probly gonna have to take it apart but i have to take most of the motor apart to get to the nuts to get the carb off, and i didn't really want to do that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just picked up a 1973 Elan 250 for FREE. I was supposed to pay him fifty bucks for it but he said not to worry about it. Anyway, it hasn't been running for nine years, and it's been sitting in a barn the whole time. I brought it home, replaced the fuel lines (old ones were hard as a rock), popped the starter on, sprayed some gas in the carb, and it started first thing.

Here's the problem, it wouldn't run on it's own at first, then i got it to run on it's own for about a minute. Now it won't run on it's own at all. I'm still cleaning it up so I haven't really looked at the motor yet, but does anyone have any ideas on what it might be so i can check out some specific areas?

I'm almost positive it is in the carb, there is a little bit of gas in the bowl, but it just spits gas back out the return line.
Like you I found my 73 in a barn that was stored for 32 years. I had fun rehabbing it and have attached my journey.
I did have a few problems with the carb and also had to clean/replace the entire fuel system.

I also found a 73 elan 250 stored in barn for 32 years. Fuel system was in bad shape. Took to carb re-builds and replacing the fuel system/lines but got her purringin the end. I have attached a clip of my journey. Have fun with yours!

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
First sled I ever rode was an Elan. That was back in 1971 or so. I remember getting stuck and then getting stuck some more. But the dang thing was so light, you could just pick it up and put it on better snow and away you went! My buddy had the sled, and a TNT 440... that 440 was SUPER scary, it would do almost 70 mph! OMG, why would anyone want to go faster than that on a snowmobile! EEK. My, how things have changed ;)

Yours is in better shape NOW than my friend's was back then!! Nice :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
First sled I ever rode was an Elan. That was back in 1971 or so. I remember getting stuck and then getting stuck some more. But the dang thing was so light, you could just pick it up and put it on better snow and away you went! My buddy had the sled, and a TNT 440... that 440 was SUPER scary, it would do almost 70 mph! OMG, why would anyone want to go faster than that on a snowmobile! EEK. My, how things have changed ;)

Yours is in better shape NOW than my friend's was back then!! Nice :)
Thanks! You are right at 245 lbs. even an old guy like me can still man handle it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts