Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got a 1977 elan 250 single and I'm having some electrical issues. Last winter I couldn't run the sled and have a headlight, it would foul plugs almost immediately until I disconnected the headlight. This year I went over my harness and found my connectors to be in rough shape so I replaced one and cleaned the other. Installed an led light bar, it lasted about 2 minutes and fried the light bar. I'm still fouling plugs more often then I think I should be, probably went through about 8 plugs last season. Any ideas on what's going on? Could it be a surge in the system popping plugs and my light bar, or possibly the opposite with not enough power? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Bad voltage regulator will send the voltage really high.

On the old 1977 machine, the lighting circuit and the ignition circuits we're connected, sorta. It was one long coil with a tap. The tap formed the common and the other two would be your lighting and ignition. If there was excessive draw on the lighting circuit (like a bad VR), it would drive the ignition voltage down, causing a low spark.

LED lights also require a DC signal. The stator puts out an AC signal. I don't think I'd recommend LED light bar on a old machine unless you add a rectifier device that also does addition voltage regulation. Technically, feeding an AC signal to the LED lights should work, but they would flicker at a rate dependent on the RPM of the motor. The problem is that most LED fixtures cannot handle the reverse voltage for very long, specially if it is higher than the 12 volt it expects. Chances are, you didn't burn out of the LEDs, but rather a normal diode that is on the circuit board of the LEDs. They usually put a few resistors and a diode in the circuit to protect from reverse current, but typically they can only handle up to around 15 or 20 volts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts