Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a 299cc elan 72, i changed the coil because the sprark was intermitent and cause the sled to dont stay runing, afer i put the new coil and all in place the spark was good and the sled fired the first crank but only for about five second and the 2nd try the same thing and after nothing, no more fire, so i removed the coil to chek it but i found nothing so i replace it, i cheked the spark, nothing, after a couple of try i see good spark for about 3 crank and afer nothing. I cant find what is the problem :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
The points and condenser are in need of replacing as the condenser is shorting to ground .This is a good time to replace the points also,they will have to have a gap opening of .016".Should give you good spark then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your answer, i buyed the condencer 3 days ago from a guy, they say it working ands as been tested, and the point how can i know if i need to replace it cause it look pretry new to me, and the .016 gap do you mean the gap between the two points?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The gap is the opening between the points.which should be at .016 you can measure this gap with a feeler gauge.Aftermarket condensers sometimes are not the same quality as the gueine parts.Especially be careful not to apply to much heat when soldering the wire to the new condensers.hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think it was the gap, i set a smaler gap than wat i haved before and now i have spark, i dont have a gauge so i dont know what is my gap, i hope this will help me fire this sled, i dont know if the spark will last i cranked about 4 time and the rope broke so i will buy a new one, i will let you know. and i think i overheated the condenser but i have spark so i think it work
thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, now i have spark, the sled fired 3 time but only for about 5 min and now i cant start iti think tis is a carb issue but how can i know if its realy that?

·
Registered
162 Posts
DADAVID you say that there is fire,when you take the sparkplug ou tand check the fire is it blue in color or redish?Also is the plug dry or wet.If it is the carberator just put a capful of gas in the plug hole and if it starts then yes you have a fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the fire is a bit orange when i crank slowly but came blue when i crank hard, the plug is dry when i take it out but it wont fire when i put gaz in the plug hole, but it make a bit of smoke when i try to start it so ithink its the carb because the engine dont seem to be fouled but the spark make me tink its maybe the fire

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you a compression tester and if so try and see if you have a reading on the gauge of at least 120 psi. If you do not that is why the engine won;t start and it also makes the carburator fuel pump work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts