Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 Elan 250. It's very light, as am I. But i'm pretty sure it was on here i heard that they were comparable to a snowplow in the front end.

Since i'm so light, i'm scared that any large amount of snow will act like a brick wall and i won't get any traction at all.

My question is this, is there much I can do to make the front float on top, rather than dive to the bottom?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
obviously, but I have 200 bucks to do what i can with this one, and i like the old sleds.

would wider skiis help?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Wider skis may help, but I'd see how it goes first, then determine what you need to do. You might just have to sit way back on the seat when cutting the first trail, then you'll be all set after that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, i figure after a few times out for the first time i'll get the hang of keeping it up.

thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
149 Posts
your first problem is u r on a doo and u need a polaris and then your next one is that those older doos are exremly heavy so i was only bustin on ya before and i am also busting your balls about this one 2

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not trying to bust YOUR balls, but in my opinion, a sled that i can lift into the back of my truck myself isn't "exremly heavy"

As for brand, i would have took a free polaris, or any other brand, i just happen to find a free doo.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
shepy, you obviously dont have a clue about the elan series. they all weigh next to nothing. if you dont have anything useful to add to the thread dont bother posting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

smallengineguy, when you say All Aluminu, do you mean the chassis? I naturally thought it was steel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try that tomorrow and let you know, but i'm pretty sure it's steel, i grinded some rust off but didn't have any paint left to cover it and it rusted in the surface the next day, and there is a little more rust in other places.

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't aluminum not rust?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
if youre grinding off rust its not aluminum.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
with the small size of a snowmobile "frame" there wont be too much of a difference between weight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no problem smallengineguy, and ya, there isn't muck of a chassis to make a big weight difference.

while we're talking about rust, how big of a hole should i just grind and paint with rust paint, before i patch it with a piece of steel? or should the smallest holes be patched up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm pretty sure it has one on it, where it pivot's, it comes out a few inches before it connects to the ski.

Actually, i found some wide skiis in the dennis kirk catalog, i'm gonna see if i can get them from my local shop. They are made for the older sleds that have leaf springs.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
MBRP makes a widening kit

1 - 20 of 35 Posts