Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little info. My brother recently got married and his wife wants to start sledding with us. The thing is she is really small..... we have a 2001 mountain cat 600 with a 136 track that i though she would get along with... but she had a hard time turning the skis and handling it. We mostly ride mountains, but she just wants to stay on the path and not really go playing in the powder... just looking for something really easy to handle. (she probably wont go that much so nothing newer than an 05) Any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
is she even that serious about it? Does she want to go fast? I mean if she doesn't care at all then an indy lite 340 is going to be the easiest sled to handle lol. That's why so many snow tours use it. Otherwise maybe like a Polaris XC or sport? Ski-do Summits were pretty light back in that day compared to other sleds, which made them a bit easier to turn. They seemed a bit less durable though as a side effect. I would say stay away from Cats though pre 2000 as they really never addressed their weight issues. Same with Yamaha unless you want to go old school and get a phazer haha. Just my 2 cents though.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
You could look for a fan cooled "sport" sled. They are usually a great buy for the money and have mid level suspension components. They are usually lighter and easier to handle.

Look up a 2005 Trail RMK also.

·
PFS-Pray For Snow!!!!!!!!
247 Posts
If you are looking at staying with Polaris, then I would suggest an XC 500. Great ride and easy to handle, but enough power when you need it. If you are looking beyond polaris, I would suggest an Arctic Cat ZL 440 or 500. They are great little sleds. The fan cooled sleds are decent buys if she is going to ride twice a year when it is below 30 degrees, but for the money I would stick to a liquid machine.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
take that 01 mtn cat and adjust the suspension to suit her needs. she can handle it and there is no perfect sled to fit her, unless you set it up to suit her needs. any sled can become the perfect sled.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
I agree, but are you riding out in the mountains? If not loose the long track! As for a ZL 440 or 500, just get the 600, it's the same weight and more punch! And she wont out grow it! Then my best sujestion is to put on a set of 8" duiel carbides! Yes put on as much carbide up front as you can get! Then loosen the front ski springs and tighten the front track shock, even legthen the limiter! This will give you the easiest steering effort, yet will let it turn! Electric start and rev is nice too! So set up properly a 02 ZL 600 EFI ESR could be a very good sled!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. After I read some of the replies I was asking around and found a guy that lives fairly close that has a 340 just collecting dust in the garage, so were going to take that on a ride and if that doesn't work for her we will start adjusting the mc 600 for her.

Also,, I've never heard anyone call a 136" a long track... We considered my brothers 144" a short track... I have a 153" and a 162"... and just got rid of a sled with a 159.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
Thanks for the info. After I read some of the replies I was asking around and found a guy that lives fairly close that has a 340 just collecting dust in the garage, so were going to take that on a ride and if that doesn't work for her we will start adjusting the mc 600 for her.

Also,, I've never heard anyone call a 136" a long track... We considered my brothers 144" a short track... I have a 153" and a 162"... and just got rid of a sled with a 159.

Back in the day that was a"longtrack" but now thats a short track lol!

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
...Also,, I've never heard anyone call a 136" a long track... We considered my brothers 144" a short track... I have a 153" and a 162"... and just got rid of a sled with a 159.

136" = long track for trails (flatlanders)
136" = short track for mountains

Hopefully she enjoys the 340. We need all the support we can get so one more happy rider is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts