Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2008 Arctic cat T570 that has only been ridden for 1 season (this season will be the 2nd).

My battery -well it started in the fall when I had to move it -a couple of times.

But now that its been real cold and we finally have snow -it is dead.

I want to bring it in & charge it but I have 3 switches on my charger (I use it for our dirtbikes) but am not sure what setting to put this battery on.

Can you advise me on what is the best to do a charge on?

Hang on -I will go out to the garage and tell you exactly what each setting says....

ok -it is a Schumacher 6/2 Amp Dual Rate charger and the

first setting is: 6 volt/6amp

2nd is 12 volt/2 amp

3rd is 12 volt/6amp

Can you tell me which is the best to put my battery on for a charge?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks alot -in advance, & my apologies for probably asking a real dumb question but although I am pretty mechanically inclined and ride my sled just as hard as most of you probably do; I have only been riding a few years & hey -I am a blonde & I don't charge batteries other than our bike batteries when they need it.

ThANKS again! Please email me direct! [email protected] :)
Sandi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much!

12v 2amp for a dead battery should take 10+ hours to chqrge
Thank You Jesse -I guess I oughtta run back out & get that thing in & on the charger if I want to ride it tomorrow night then!

Thanks again & for the second reply to my question:

Real Blonde -not fake -but mostly white & blonde now cuz I'm -a -gettin' old!
LOL
thanks all!
Sandi

·
Registered
470 Posts
If your battery is like the stock battery in my 2007 Panther 570, not maintenance free, you should remove the caps and check the electrolyte level. The top of the plates should be covered, if not top up with distilled water. When I store my sled for the summer, I remove the battery and keep it on my bench near the charger and put a 2 amp charge to it once a month. This helps stop the battery from building up lead sulfate on the plates which can shorten battery life and performance.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Good point, Old Man. Old man giving advice to old blonde. Hmm. Us old folks have to stick together.

Two amps is a lot for these little batteries, don't leave the charger on it for an extended period. Some of the newer chargers specific to motorcycle/snowmobile batteries are designed to be left on indefinitely, the charger starts at a high amperage (like 2) and then slows down to a trickle. then goes into a maintenance mode. The chargers are spendy, but work well at keeping you from having to buy a new battery every year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts