Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i got my sled inside, melted off and got some aluminum to make some drop brackets,

I spend a while trying to figure out how to make them.

the best way to me, seem to be bolt the plate to the top stock hole for the skid, and then bolt it on the bottom , lower stock mount. but the shaft is the length of the tunnel, and there isnt room in the tunnel, it seems like i would have to bolt them on just the lower mount holes, and that seem flimsy,

i will get pictures later

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the original reinforcement plates are the things that are like little drop brackets right? they have a couple holes to drop the skid down.

would i be able to bolt a peice of aluminum to the holes in the plate, and drop it about an inch below that and bolt the skid through that?

or would that be to flimsy

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
The existing plates are riveted to the tunnel. If you remove those and rivet the longer ones that you make in place of them, it should hold up fine.
Removing the old ones gives you more working room.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, and how thick of metal should i use?

i was messing around with 1/4" trying to fit it, and planning out, but that seems big.

how thin of a peice of aluminum is thick enough?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, they use steel? yeah i guess now that i think about it, your right.

i unbolted the back of my skid, and jacked my snowmobile up to were i like the looks and would want to make the drop brackets to.

the height of the shaft, is only about 1 inch lower then the stock lower holes, could i just weld a peice of steel off the lip below the tunnel, because im only going 1 inch lower? and have it be strong enough?

im having trouble wording it so you can understand it, because i dont know if you know what im talking about without a picture

STOCK- the skid is bolted UP under the tunnel in through the tunnel

LOWER STOCK- MY snowmobile is unbolted from the tunnel, and dropped down to the lip off the "reinforcement plate", i want to go about 1 inch lower ( belive it or not, 1 inch makes the back of the snowmobile alot higher).

·
Registered
537 Posts
ha well i guess they showed up after all lol but ya theres some pics of how mine are done, if you like what you see and need any measurements or nething let me know

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats like exactly what i want done on my sled, what is that made out of?

did you remove what was there before? measurements would be awesome.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i would get a new skid, but mine is in really good shape, and its pretty smooth, might not be as good, but im young and take take a pretty good beating before i give in, like i said, i ride standing up, so my knee's take alot of the damage :D

i just like the looks of the higher rear end, and it will keep my foot well runner things from hitting the snow as much, probably making it better in deep snow

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Mine was still good too, but I could not pass up the price I got it for.

True, adding the drop brackets will aid in deep snow handling, but will not improve trail manners any. Any of the ETT or TSL skids from Z/ZR/ZL/ZRT up to 02 will fit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
the plates are just made out of 1/8th inch steel that has been rivited to the side of the tunnel and there is a plate that also comes off and is rivited under the foot well runner things as u would like to call them lol. not the prettiest lol but gets the job done.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True, adding the drop brackets will aid in deep snow handling, but will not improve trail manners any. Any of the ETT or TSL skids from Z/ZR/ZL/ZRT up to 02 will fit.

you say that Any of the ETT or TSL skids from Z/ZR/ZL/ZRT up to 02 will fit.

theres a skid out of a zrt 800, ETT for 150$, would that be a good deal?

how big of an improvement would that make?

thanks

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
It'll give you the lift you want and more travel too.
The ETT will bolt in at the front and all you have to do is drill new mounting hole for the rear 1" forward from the current one (if you mount it up into the tunnel), and if you use the tab below the tunnel, just put it into the forward hole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts