Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon, was out riding my 94 Arctic Cat Jag and was 30-40 miles into the day when I was going through cornfield at 5mph and driveshaft snapped. I greased it and checked bearing a few weeks ago, pulled on driveshaft and seemed solid so don't know what happened. Obviously I need a new driveshaft. Any ideas on where to find one? Any online stores sell driveshafts? Or is ebay my best route? I saw a 93 Jag 440 driveshaft on ebay will that work? Any ideas what might be the route of why it would snap? Any help would be great. Going to tear into it tomorrow and get old shaft out and hope I can find a new one somewhere! Thanks!

iceotter

·
Super Moderator
17,848 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the update. I already purchased a used driveshaft off ebay for a backup. I tore into yesterday and got track and suspension off. I popped open the chaincase and to my surprise the chain was off the sprocket. I thought about it a little bit as I looked at the shaft once I got it off and it appears to not be cracked. The lock collar was still attached to the shaft and there was 1/4 inch of shaft that went into the bearing. Is that as far as the shaft goes into the bearing? Almost seems like my driveshaft end is a little short because I figured the shaft would use the whole bearing but it doesn't. My guess is that I was riding and it jolted the shaft enough to snap the lock collar from the bearing and the shaft moved enough to the right to knock the chain off and pull the shaft out of the bearing. Are my assumptions correct? And is the driveshaft the right size?

I do need a new bearing. Would any 1" bearing with lock collar work for this or do I need to go through snowmobile parts store? Just wondering if I can save a few bucks at a auto/tractor supply store?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today got the new driveshaft on. Took a little while but got her done. Took it on and just thought the suspension seems a little tight. How much travel should I have? Seems like I got 2-3inches of travel in suspension. Do I need to adjust? Is there a way to do it? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Not a big deal having suspension just seems tight. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,848 Posts
For driveline bearings and jackshaft bearings, I would use good quality bearings. You can buy inexpensive bearings that are made of inferior metal, but as difficult as it is to change the driveline/jackshaft bearings, I would want to use good bearings and change them as infrequently as possible!

2-3" seems pretty short in travel to me. I would check that all the cross-shafts in the suspension are moving properly. You may have to remove the rear suspension and clean any corrosion, then regrease to get the amount of movement that is available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts