Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my machine working well all around but I'm looking for a bit more bite out of the hole... right now I have a primary off a 1996 Ultra that is like new with no miles with a blue spring and 10 al weights. It engages around 4800 rpm and works great all around except for take off ... it just seems a bit lazy up to about 10 mph and then goes like hell. I know the secondary needs to be freshened and it has a 36 helix and a red spring... Do you guys think just by a rebuild I will get what I'm looking for or should I be looking at making some changes while I'm in there . I have no interest in changing gears because it will pull hard right to 8200 rpm flat out...

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending if you want it for drags , or just to beat your buddy's once in a while? The heliux will help some & new belt.Gearing will get you there faster ,but sacrifice top speed .
It's more of a feel thing .. I just don't like the way it acts coming out of the hole.. I'm not looking to blow the track off but I really don't like the lazyness when pulling away from a stop. Most of the riding I do is on quick trails and river and as far as that goes it works really well , I just want to clean up the launch.

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You said clutch engages at 4800rpm,when you hold the rpm at say around 4500rpm (just before engagement) then gun it ,dose it seem way better out of the hole?
I will check that out today .. I never really paid attention before but I don't think it mattered a whole lot.

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the secondary off a buddy's 1996 ultra sp and stuck it on to see the difference of a low mileage unit that has all the same parts and it was incredible. !!! Out of the hole is a night and day . I guess i will rebuild mine back to stock specs or look around for a used low mileage unit..

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.