Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my machine working well all around but I'm looking for a bit more bite out of the hole... right now I have a primary off a 1996 Ultra that is like new with no miles with a blue spring and 10 al weights. It engages around 4800 rpm and works great all around except for take off ... it just seems a bit lazy up to about 10 mph and then goes like hell. I know the secondary needs to be freshened and it has a 36 helix and a red spring... Do you guys think just by a rebuild I will get what I'm looking for or should I be looking at making some changes while I'm in there . I have no interest in changing gears because it will pull hard right to 8200 rpm flat out...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Depending if you want it for drags , or just to beat your buddy's once in a while? The heliux will help some & new belt.Gearing will get you there faster ,but sacrifice top speed .

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending if you want it for drags , or just to beat your buddy's once in a while? The heliux will help some & new belt.Gearing will get you there faster ,but sacrifice top speed .
It's more of a feel thing .. I just don't like the way it acts coming out of the hole.. I'm not looking to blow the track off but I really don't like the lazyness when pulling away from a stop. Most of the riding I do is on quick trails and river and as far as that goes it works really well , I just want to clean up the launch.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You said clutch engages at 4800rpm,when you hold the rpm at say around 4500rpm (just before engagement) then gun it ,dose it seem way better out of the hole?

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said clutch engages at 4800rpm,when you hold the rpm at say around 4500rpm (just before engagement) then gun it ,dose it seem way better out of the hole?
I will check that out today .. I never really paid attention before but I don't think it mattered a whole lot.

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the secondary off a buddy's 1996 ultra sp and stuck it on to see the difference of a low mileage unit that has all the same parts and it was incredible. !!! Out of the hole is a night and day . I guess i will rebuild mine back to stock specs or look around for a used low mileage unit..

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts