Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Polaris Indy Special 600 triple. I got out playing around and got stuck in some deep snow with a lot of rock and dirt underneath. When I got out the track wouldn't engage. I assumed it was packed with snow and dirt so I had it towed home. When I cleaned out all the snow and dirt I found a big rock jammed between the tunnel and the track. Had to get out the old air chisel to get it out. Took it for a test drive and noticed it had a vibration. Took it back in my shop, checked it out thoroughly and didn't notice anything. Took it for another test ride and it still had the vibration but also stretched the belt as well as broke off the nodes of the belt from slapping the aluminum guide underneath. I'm at a loss as to what's going on with it! Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those who wondered, I towed it home by puttin the track down inside a garden sled! Worked like a charm since the track wouldn't turn!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1998 Polaris Indy Special 600 triple. I got out playing around and got stuck in some deep snow with a lot of rock and dirt underneath. When I got out the track wouldn't engage. I assumed it was packed with snow and dirt so I had it towed home. When I cleaned out all the snow and dirt I found a big rock jammed between the tunnel and the track. Had to get out the old air chisel to get it out. Took it for a test drive and noticed it had a vibration. Took it back in my shop, checked it out thoroughly and didn't notice anything. Took it for another test ride and it still had the vibration but also stretched the belt as well as broke off the nodes of the belt from slapping the aluminum guide underneath. I'm at a loss as to what's going on with it! Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did notice that there was a small groove burnt into the drive clutch shaves. Not enough that I was super concerned but I did take a green scrubby pad and clean all the shaves just in case it had glazed them at all. I haven't checked the driven clutch bearing yet though. It seems if that went bad I would have noticed that when I ran it in the shop before I test drove it. But maybe it did? It really stretched the belt when I test drove it though! Makes me wonder what is binding up to do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts