Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i recently got my rebuilt polaris 580 xlt running, I cant get the track to run faster then 10mph, underload, the track will spin fast tho when its lifted off the ground tho. I know the engine is good rpms at 7000+. I checked all 3 cylinders have spark, and new, non fouled spark plugs. The primary clutch engages at around 4000rpms(gold spring), ive cleaned the carbs, changed gas to 91 fuel type. Ive tried a new belt too, it smoked it rubber tho caked all over the primary clutch now. I rebuilt the secondary clutch to, i rebuilt it back to spec, used low temp grease for reassembly, turned sheave 1/3 turn for helix install/setting 2. Any ideas on what it might be, hopefully cheap fix. Im already 2k$ cad in the hole with this sled. :( sidenote tho could it be my secondary clutch spring, its easy to compress with one hand, im not sure how much resistance these things should have?.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the engine doing at 10 mph? Screaming or bogging? It sounds like clutch issue. Not sure what you mean my secondary spring is easy to compress? Do you mean to open it to remove the belt or to compress it to change the spring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres no screaming or bogging sounds, just brand new belt melting smell, and a burnt belt aswell. I took the secondary apart, to clean it. The blue spring in the secondary can almost be squeezed tight by one hand, the button pads are abit narrow too.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well the buttons should be replaced around 1500-2000 miles give or take depending on how hard you ride. If they are worn down you need to replace them. Also Clean your primary clutch as well, the primary spring might also be bad as those are a wear item just like the buttons and secondary spring. Also what year XLT? When you did all that rebuilding you did clean all 3 carbs correct? When rebuilding a secondary clutch you should always replace the buttons as well. The secondary springs are usually pretty easy to move and compress unlike the primary springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts