Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im putting a track on my sled and the bearing for the driveshaft doesnt want to go on im kinda thinking that my bearing might be a little messed up. would that make it not go on? it would be cool if i get some feedback thanx

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
YOU DID NOT MENTION IF IT WAS A NEW OR THE OLD BEARING YOU WERE TRYING TO INSTALL, IF YOUR CHANGING TH TRACK PUT NEW BEARINGS IN EVEN IF THEY LOOKED GOOD. YOU MAY HAVE CREATED A BURR ON THE SHAFT WHILE YOU WERE WORKING ON IT LOOK CLOSLY AT THE SHAFT YOU MAY NEED TO USE A SMALL FILE OR EMERY PAPER TO CLEAN IT UP GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx thats a good plan i was thinking that ill just have to wait til monday kinda a bummer we just got a foot of snow thanx though

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, definitely get new bearings if you've already got it taken apart. I blew out the clutch side driveshaft bearing on my 93 xlt 3 seasons ago, the stress from the track pulling back on it caused the driveshaft to drill itself straight back into the tunnel about 2 1/2 inches. Then I had to cut the inner bearing race off of the driveshaft which had heated itself on. Luckily no damage to the chaincase side, but I still replaced both sides bearings and the inner and outer brackets that hold the bearing on the clutch side. I had to rivet some quarter inch alluminum to the tunnel to repair the damage. It could have used a new driveshaft, but I made it work with only the small sacrafice of not being able to hook back up the speedo cable due to damage on the end of the driveshaft. So be sure to get those bearings, and keep them well lubed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts