Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my speedometer not working, Im looking to replace my drive shaft bearing on my 93 xcr 440. The only problem is last year changing the chaincase oil i snapped a bolt off in the chaincase. The manual says to remove the drive shaft. Is there anyway to replace that bearing without removing the driveshaft?

Also I replaced the cable because the old cable was stuck and wouldn't spin but it still does not work. However I have read that when the bearing fails the speedo cable key will shear off. Neither cable has had that problem in my case but I assume the bearing is still bad correct me if Im wrong.

Finally should I absolutely have to get that bolt out does anyone have any suggestions on how? Its a tight space so I do not anticipate it being easy.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the key has not snapped off the bearing's might be ok. you should grease the drive shaft and the jack shaft bearings every 1000 miles. Try to spin the speedo cable and see if the speedometer moves if not then it might be the cable or the speedo. it is not that bad to change the bearings just a lot of work. it is cheap to do as well. you will have to take the skid frame out then drain the oil from the chin case take the cover off then remove the bottom sprocket and chain, then you will see the bearing the bearing should have a c-clip holding it in. remove the c-clip. then go to the other side of the sled, remove the secondary clutch then there should be a speedo housing that has tree bolts holding it on remove that and you should see a key that goes in the end of the drive shaft. the bearing will be in a retainer some may have set screws holding the bearing on remove the retainer or set screws tap the bearing off then pull the drive shaft out of the chain case then tap the bearing out of the chain case. make sure you replace the oil seal on the back of the chain case, because 95% of the time they will get pinched. replace the bearings and then put every thing back the way it came out make sure you grease the speedo housing when done.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
yep ya gotta pull the driveshaft and get it on the bench. I used a puller on it with a flat tip so that it didnt mar up the square hole which the speedo key goes in when I started putting pressure on it. came off easy. used an old (junk) gear from my chaincase which grenaded to tap the new one on straight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts