Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out riding yesterday and my wife sleds speedo stopped working.
I no that if it stops working go back to the trailer ASAP so we did.
By the time we got back we could hear some sqweking noises on the clutch side bearing where the speedo wire goes into the drive shaft bearing.
The sleds is a old cat 93 wildcat
A very well maintained sled
I've found a bearing kit parts# 14 1008
it includes 2 bearings I assume one is clutch side and the other is chain case side?
If anyone can verify this it would be very helpful as I'm not aloud to ride without her....lol

I'm in canada and need to order probably from the states

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
You will need a pair of 1" X 2" radial bearings with a single lock collar and seals on both sides.
You will also need a spedo key as well!
The bearings can be bought for under $10 at a bearing store, but the speedo key will need to come from a snowmobile shop or on line?
I'll try and get you a link from HPE?

·
Super Moderator
16,978 Posts
Identical bearings to the ones in the kit can be found a lot cheaper than the manufacturer/dealer. In the aftermarket, you may find really cheap bearings and some that are a bit more expensive, but still cheaper than Cat bearings; I would go with the medium priced ones. As hard as it is to replace those bearings, I don't want to do it often, so I spend a bit more for a better quality bearing... JMHO, mind you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I order them from dennis kirk snowmobile parts.
$25 for the bearing kit...
$50 for shipping. ..
I just love America
But not as much as the north
Thx for all the info!
Next weekend I won't be riding.... I'll be wrenching

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi so I've pulled secondary off bearing cover and after cleaning grease out bearing looks good there's about a half inch of wire sticking out of the bearing cover I asume that is why speedo has failed I can turn the inside of the cable and speedo works on dash
So when riding theres a squeak that I thought was a bad drive shaft bearing
It only makes the noise at low speed
I noticed that the jack shaft behind secondary looks dry. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issues with a squeaky jack shaft and is that a bearing

·
Super Moderator
16,978 Posts
There is a bearing on each end of the jackshaft, too. The bearings are shielded bearings, which means that if there's a grease fitting for the bearing, the grease surrounds the bearing but doesn't get in the bearing. The driveline bearing fails more frequently than the jackshaft bearing, because the driveline is subject to the constant pounding of the snow from the track. But it can still fail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts