Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The axil which drives the drive cogs in the track snapped any thoughts as to way this would happen, it was a calm ride broke when i was just starting to move

is it a tough fix i have never removed a track on this sled

1999 700 xc sp

any thoughts as to what i should replace when it is torn down

·
Registered
323 Posts
really depends on where it broke to determine why, other factors are how long you have had the sled, did the previous owner beat the tar out of it, was the axle bent to start with and the continuous up and down help it fail. or maybe the track was too tight on one side, other than that would cause other issues as well.

Not really a tough fix, find yourself a new / used one. pull your rear suspension, pull the secondary clutch to access the left side bearing retainer, pull the chain case cover off, (you may have to remove the muffler) remove the lower gear and chain, slide the axle to the left side out of the chain case, drop it down and out. As long as your in there I would replace the bearings just because.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The axil which drives the drive cogs in the track snapped any thoughts as to way this would happen, it was a calm ride broke when i was just starting to move

is it a tough fix i have never removed a track on this sled

1999 700 xc sp

any thoughts as to what i should replace when it is torn down
You didn't happen to break down on a trail in Douglas MA yesturday, did you? I ran into a few riders early in the day, and later in the day I saw only one loading his sled on the trailer. I asked where's you friend, he said he busted his drive shaft and he was going to pick him up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup that was me in Douglas

I plan on changing any bearing i remove i am calling around for the part now

track seemed fine it broke just about right in the middle between the drive boogies

·
Registered
234 Posts
02bird, been there breaking down. Last year a blew a piston on Wallum Lake. Had to ride home limping. Know the feeling... Good luck rebuilding and maybe you'll be back out before the end of the season.

On a different subject. Your buddy mentioned you ended up near Joe Jenny road. Did you get up there through the trail I last saw you on. I think there's a power line trail out there, I just don't know how to get to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sled is already torn down parts will be in mid week should be out next saturday.

not to bad a fix but i need to replace a few parts. Gives me a chance to go thru it 100% doing all bearings and anything that shows any sign of wear.

yes we stayed on that trail and the trail ended joe jenny rd. good thing i was only 200 ft. from the road when it let go. we should meet up i can show you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
sled is already torn down parts will be in mid week should be out next saturday.

not to bad a fix but i need to replace a few parts. Gives me a chance to go thru it 100% doing all bearings and anything that shows any sign of wear.

yes we stayed on that trail and the trail ended joe jenny rd. good thing i was only 200 ft. from the road when it let go. we should meet up i can show you.
Good to hear you're only expecting to be down for a week. Hope all goes as expected.

I am going out today and will try to find the Powerline trail that leads to Joe Jenny road. I know the main trail (Ridge trail) ended into a trail head, so you must turn off Ridge trail to the left to get to the Powerline trail that leads to Joe Jenny. Looking at the map, it looks like the Midstate trail gets you to the Powerline. Hope I don't get lost :)

I'll be looking for you next Sat. Long term forcast shows snow on Friday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts