Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone offer up advice how to load a HEAVY snowmobile with brand new dooly carbides onto a tilt trailer?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
drive it on up?

so if that doesn't work for whatever reason, go to walmart/tsc/runnings/mac's/menards and get yourself a cheap ($45-$59) 2000 pound electric winch. They come with a hitch adapter plate that just happens to work really well with the tiedowns on most trailers. Put the tiedown in, then hook the winch over it, connect it to power, and up your snowmobile comes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Add some rails for your skis to ride up on that will hold carbides off the deck using a couple 1"x2"'s. Protects your deck and makes things simple for driving right on.

·
Polaris
132 Posts
I use a 10" x 4' piece of plywood with a 2"X4" nailed to the center bottom side. I place it at the bottom of the trailer so the carbides dont catch as I drive it up. I also carry a 4"X4" to prop the tilted trail up. Makes the whole process a one person job.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
A 5' piece of 3" PVC is great for getting the skis to not hang on the lip of the trailer. Used bed liners make great ski guides. I was going that route until I found some grip glides locally...makes loading sleds 100x easier. When I tilt the trailer and release the brake, the sled slides most of the way off.

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Even before you put the carbides on the sled, look close to the front and rear edges of the carbide itself. I have welded a bit to both edges so that the carbides dont snag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dirve it on up.

Anyone offer up advice how to load a HEAVY snowmobile with brand new dooly carbides onto a tilt trailer?
Thanks for all the information. I do want to positively comment on the drive it on up as I thought this is how the darn thing was supposed to work. I got the new sled on Saturday struggled Saturday night after an awesome afternoon of riding. 90 min later and the help of my wife got the sled on the trailer. Went and got a couple hand wenchs, plywood to and other miscellaneous gadgets and cut the load time down to 30 min still with the help of my wife. What an awsome woman. To the two men in the parking lot who I asked for help after they loaded their sled - thanks for nothing. So today I took the sled on the trailer back to the place I bought it and the General Manager who sold me the sled - told him the story and while he was pleasant you know that look someone gives you right? Well I got that look and asked him to "train" me on loading the sled. He said, just drive it right up. I said cool can you show me? He came out side. Got a good head start and gave it way the heck more power than I ever did! He got just as far and said "Wow! I guess those Doolys really do stick". Followed by, I will make sure to let any other customer who buys these know, blah, blah, blah you know the rest of the story. So I will install the plastic runners on my trailer (now). I will install the rubber track on my trailer (now). And will carry a mini-ramp I made to clear the 3-4 inches from the ground to the trailer bed.

Enjoy the read and thanks for the input. I have a new post to start....

·
all sleds R great!!!!
342 Posts
There is a few companies that sell drop down wheels making it easier to load and to ride on pavement . Retrax is one of them, but they're manual. Checkout Wheeltracker from Quebec, they have a hydraulic system, press a button that attaches to rightside of handle bars and you simply press to drop down, and press to raise. They don't weigh much either. Youtube has a few vids, not too sure what the title is, but. Retrax and Wheeltracker are the names.

·
all sleds R great!!!!
342 Posts
One more is called SKIWHEELZ BY ROUSKI. They have a short vid on youtube, but i think they don't have a hydraulic version, just manual. And apparently they can kick up alot of snow in deep powder.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Forget the wheels... too complicated and too pricey!!!

Get a set of ski "boots", which are basically ski skins that slip over your skis. You then ride up the trailer on the skins. Take them off before you go ride.

Here's a set from Dennis Kirk - WAY more than I'd ever pay, but it will give you an idea of what they are. I have seen them in the $20-$30 range elsewhere. https://www.denniskirk.com/_.p105824.prd

·
all sleds R great!!!!
342 Posts
Wheels aren't complicated at all. 10 minutes to install the manual ones, and 2 hours to install the hydraulic ones. Good for crossing the road or going into a motel or gas station parking lot. Skins can't do that.

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
My trick was when installing the ski guides was to rivet them onto the lip and heat up with a form of heat. Then bend down and install to deck. I don't catch on anything

1 - 14 of 14 Posts