Snowmobile Forum banner

Does bad CDI produce any spark?

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Trapset 
#1 ·
Can a bad CDI on an 84 Enticer 340 cause weak spark on one side and no spark on the other or do they just quit sparking all together.

#3 ·
Thanks yamadad,

I replaced the coil w/ a new spare I had but made no change. I did notice that the headlight harness dropped down and melted on the exhaust exposing some wire. Could that have fried something? I unplugged it before the melted spot and it made no difference. Any idea what may be causing the weak/no spark?

#5 ·
is that the single coil with two wires for the plugs?

was the replacement new or used?

if used, could be a bad cap or the wire to the cap having a bad connection.

or your melted wires could have affected a ground wire at some point.

a long shot would be not enough power getting to the coil to produce spark on both wires? should be a test for the coil and wires to confirm.

#7 ·
thats a good start. next would be the output from the stator.

think of it this way: the pulse coil produces the charge and the cdi tells it when to deliver the charge. a weak electrical output could be the issue if its not the coil itself or the cap on the wire to the plug.

by chance did the new coil have the plug caps on the wires or did you have to transfer them?

i hate electrical issues.

#8 ·
Had to transfer caps. I replaced the caps about a week ago on the old coil though. The hole on the cap where the wire goes in is actually larger than the wire making it hard to center the spur into the wire. I'll get the correct size caps tomorrow and see if thats it.

Thanks for the help, my moneys on the caps now.

I'm getting pretty good at keeping these old girls (4 old Enticers) running but electric problems/issues shut me down.LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.