Snowmobile Forum banner

Does anybody remember prowlers?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
Alot of people i know dont remember prowlers!!! Have you ever heard of a prowler, and if you have how do you like it

#3 ·
I had a 93 prowler, I peiced together a clutch kit, using a black magic 56-50 deg helix, yellow spring in back, yellow green up front, and a-2 weights. The thing hit like a hammer! I could pull on 700's up to about 60mph, I know this because my buddy bought my prowler and I got my 99 zr700. We raced and she stayed with me until 60 then the laws of hp took over...I loved that machine, but I love my 700 more!

#5 ·
Awsome! the zr7 in 99 came setup like a dog, it cant even get out of it's own way, but once dailed it's a blast. my buddy just bought a zr500 also a 99, that's pretty quick! you should love your 600. the zr chasis IS THE BEST trail chasis on the snow, even better than the fcat in some respects....

#6 ·
Yeah Im sure i will like my new sled. I just wanna be able to beat one of my friends 600 EXT. Theres only one thing bad about buying a snowmobile now................... Waiting for the snow. And im young, Im supposed to be impatient and relentless, at least thats how my uncle told to drive a sled.

-Zach

#7 ·
If it's the 600 triple, you can forget about beating it, stock anyways. however, let me know if you get the zr, cause I will give you some setup tips for ya, He wont know what hit him on the low end.....I pull on zrt 600's starting off, they catch up in the mid, and I pull just a little bit on top. that's with my machine stock....now this year will be no contest......:D

#10 ·
Getting back to Prowlers. I had a '92 and I loved it. The handlebar mounted windshield was great for battle, but when running full speed it had a aerodynamic that pushed air and snow up into your helmet Brrrrr

#11 ·
I am rebuilding a 91 prowler (440) and a 91 EXT special (550 cc)
from the ground up. Love to tinker and learn. Rebuilding to factory specs. Both machines are the same chassis with the EXT using fox shocks. Arctic Cat was still in the dinasour age in comparison to Polaris when you compare rear suspensions and ergonomics. The instrument cluster and windshield are mounted on the handlebars (poor idea). Viewing the instruments in zoom mode is not so good when you're booping along the bunny trail.
Plastic rear bumper is a joke. Try to lift the machine or jacking it up. I can see why Arctic Cat went out of buisness way back when. Quality was not Job 1. I could go on and on about the poor engineering I have encountered. If these machines were not given to me free I would never have bought them. I thought they were coyote ugly when they came out in 91. Still are. Hows that for negative. On the other hand they are easy to work on due to side pods that fold down and the front suspension is a winner due to the ball joints (heavy). Steering stays tight. Handling is easy with little effort to steer. Polaris needs to learn about A-arm suspensions and 0 slop connecting points in the steering linkages. My suggestion to anyone considering these older machines....buy a Polaris. Miles ahead in those days. I run a 92 Polaris 500 EFI SKS. Other than the front suspension that is not as tight as the EXT, the 91 cats don't compare. Polaris defined the word quality engineering from day 1. Don't take my word for it though, check it out for yourself. Be honest and unbiased or don't waist your time. Now....when you check out todays machines...Ski Doo is kicking butt real bad, Arctic Cat has improved vastly to the point where I would buy one, Polaris (my all time favorite) is somewhat falling behind, and Yamaha...well...they're trying.

#13 ·
i put in some new plugs and ran it around. at first it was running great then after a few min it started to do the same thing again. when i took the plugs out and examined them, one had little metal bb like fragments jammed in there. so im guessing the reason why its been running on 1 cylinder is because the other piston is melted. lol. im a total newbie to workin on these things, but an avid learner. later today i plan on taking the little head off and checking the cylinder to see if its damaged. hopefully all i have to do is get a new piston and the cylinder isnt damaged. in order for the piston to melt it must have went lean or its not getting oil. what are my next steps in fixing this thing? what am i lookin for when taking this apart?

#14 ·
94 Prowler 440 EFI

I own a pair of 94 Prowler 2up 440 EFI. On two seperate occansions each machine has suddenly quit at half trottle as if they lost spark. Let them sit for a few minutes and both restarted and ran fine. Both had good batteries. My mechanic said to run some fuel injector cleaner and see if that helps. I suspect electrical failure. Has anyone else experienced this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.