Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My machine runs fine and has never given me any other problems beyond the clutch rebuild. I ran it around today for a while and it died out on me after running about a half an hour. It wasnt running hot or being run hard at all for that matter . It just died down and idled to a stop. I turned it off and back on and got no fuel pump sound, still no attempt to fire like it was out of gas. 3/4 tank good gas ect. I opened the fuse box checked the fuses by pulling all and inspecting. After I put it back together the pump ran before starting and running normally. It ran back home and died out again the same way. The pump was again silent and trying a couple minutes later it powered up and ran normally.
The only thing I have done to it the last week or more was to tear the seat off to install a seat jack. Other than fighting with the close quarters to slide the tank assy back and out I did put some never seize on the plug that comes off the gas tank to prevent corrosion on those cheaply made plug connectors. I did rinse most of it off the nylon plugs so there is no contact between the terminals by accident. I did have a problem shorting out a similar plug once on my truck so I know it conducts real well. I don't treasure the thought of pulling that dash if it can be gotten from the cowl side if its possible. Any great ideas?
:(

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
this is almost like what my sled is doing to me right now. when it starts, it runs ok for a while then dies, after it dies it wont start sometimes, unless it sits for about 20 mins. i think this is just because it floods itself out when it dies tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it the damned plug melted

I had to tear the damned dashboard and seat off to get to it but there it was my plug I put the never seize on. In spite of my best efforts to clean it off the crap grounded the wires out and melted the plug slightly. Gotta put a new plug or make one up now. Did that and never even heated the fuse, go figure. If yours is fuel injected I would look into those electrical connections otherwise check the fuel lines change the filter and if carb equipped pull them and clean them. I know a boat mechanic who fixes a couple blown outboards a week by cleaning the carbs. I hope your fix is as easy as mine. Just keep the conductive grease really sparce in those plugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found it the damned plug melted

I had to tear the damned dashboard and seat off to get to it but there it was my plug I put the never seize on. In spite of my best efforts to clean it off the crap grounded the wires out and melted the plug slightly. Gotta put a new plug or make one up now. Did that and never even heated the fuse, go figure. If yours is fuel injected I would look into those electrical connections otherwise check the fuel lines change the filter and if carb equipped pull them and clean them. I know a boat mechanic who fixes a couple blown outboards a week by cleaning the carbs. I hope your fix is as easy as mine. Just keep the conductive grease really sparce in those plugs. BTW I just remembered something from working on my 50 year old tractors. Quitting on the run is a sign of crud or rust in the gas tank. You know, the stuff that builds up and floats free until it covers up the fuel pipe then washes free again. You might have a leaf or something from inside a gas can that got in there. Guaranteed to give you fits.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The pump may be crapping out, drawing more current, thus melting the plug. The plug grease shouldn't melt the plug in it. Although, I hope you are right!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah The Plug Was Pristine

That plug was in beautiful shape when I went tpo tear it apart in the beginning. Just good old hear from the electrical resistance. I did the same thing on a rusty sensor on the sending unit on my truck once. It drooled onto the block which was no big deal until it warmed up and the sent the signal that the engine was overheated instead of at normal temp. It made a bleiever for me. Also too coincidental that all I did was separate that plug carefully and then had problems. Thats the way it gioes I guess

1 - 6 of 6 Posts