Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've noticed this year is the lack of DET warning while running my sled. Last year while on a day trip, I was forced to run regular unleaded fuel for a tank or two, and this lasted over a period of a few weeks (using reg fuel). I noticed the DET would flash whenever the track would not hook-up and engine revs would quickly rise, or when running lakes at speed. DET would do it's thing and all was fine. This year so far using supreme fuel, I have noticed that the DET system has not flashed warning at all. Last night we ran drag runs on a lake for a few hours with no flash. Sled was warmed up to operating temp in both cases.

I guess this has to be a Reg / Supreme fuel issue. It's nice to have the option of Reg gas if supreme is not avail while gasing in god knows where, but I'm not making it a habit of using Regular.

Anybody else noticed this with the 700 or 800 Liberty’s

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nope I have never had my det flash. I allways run 93 and never once had to run regular.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have the 2005 700 and i noticed on really cold days when u pin it the light flashes but yesterday it was aroudn 30 degrees it didnt flash once so i think the temp plays a role in detonation

·
Registered
1 Posts
My RMK's DET light flashes when I accelerate. Is this a common occurance with these sleds? I bought the sled new this year. It has 480 miles on it. Could it be just a fuel issue?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes, non premium gas is ok for cars but in my opinion it is no good for sleds. Do you guys have the premium only switch, i think ya do if you have det, anyway, just put it on regular and i bet you wont get it. I havent yet got the light but i have been lucky and not had to use the icky stuff.

high strung twins live on premium (in my opinion) and when i have used 87 i think i notice a huge loss in responsiveness.

we have ethenol here in MN so when i have no choice and cant find non ethanol, i never use isopropal, like a jug of HEET, because then you are just putting more alcohol in the engine. again in my opinion ok for cars ( though i wont use 87 or ethanol in mine) but bad for small engines, speaking of small engines

what do you think smallengineguy?

though iso is good if there is no ethanol and there is a lot of moisture in the air like powder riding

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
dano said:
what do you think smallengineguy?
Great choice made for making him another mod IMO!! Keep it up SEG!:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dano:
My 04 700XC has key position for Reg or Prem fuel. Even lights up on cluster "Prem Only" when selected. My understanding is that timing is slightly adjusted based on which key position is selected. Not sure on earlier sleds or if this comes with the DET fitted sleds as part of the "package".

What I have noticed is when using Prem gas (91 octane), the DET almost never flashes. When running Regular gas (87 octane) the DET system will activate allot more.

vettemouse1:
Providing your RMK has key selectable fuel positions, if your running around 87-octane fuel, finish that tank, and try 91 octane. I notice a huge difference with the Prem fuel.

snowman1416:
I agree, Temp does play a role in DET initiation. I always let my sled warm for a few minutes before hitting the trail. Especially when hitting it hard ;)

A buddy of mine put Prem gas in an older sled (1992 Safari) and promptly cooked the motor. Not good for them if their not designed for it.
My2cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts