Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new sledder and just purchased 2 older sleds, 1986 Cougar, and a 1989 Jag.

Could someone tell me how to keep these sleds on top of the powder(4') instead of being stuck? do I need a new track with bigger paddles, longer track, other suspension parts? Please HELP!!!!!!!

I spent half the day digging out instead of riding and now I am dead tired. Thanks all, Gary.

·
Banned
114 Posts
All of those things that you mentioned would help. Unfortunatly none of them are viable options for sleds that are that old. My suggestion is that you stay home untill the trails have been broken. Once there is a path made riding should be much easier for you. If you really enjoy riding in powder a lot though, your best bet would be to save up for a long track ( 136" + ). You should also be careful not to blow your sleds up in the powder. That is a lot of stress on a new sled. How good can it be for a sled that is almost 20 years old?

·
Registered
15 Posts
drz400 said:
All of those things that you mentioned would help. Unfortunatly none of them are viable options for sleds that are that old. My suggestion is that you stay home untill the trails have been broken. Once there is a path made riding should be much easier for you. If you really enjoy riding in powder a lot though, your best bet would be to save up for a long track ( 136" + ). You should also be careful not to blow your sleds up in the powder. That is a lot of stress on a new sled. How good can it be for a sled that is almost 20 years old?
I've got a 1980 and I've driven it full throttle through deep powder.

To increase floatation, you can either get a longer track, or a thicker track. A longer track will give you more top end, but it will be harder on the engine to pull it and you will lose acceleration. Getting stuck is one of the bets ways to stay in shape though:). Thanks to snowmobiling, I've stayed in shape and increased my muscle power. I was young when I got my Citation and I hated getting it stuck. It was easy to get it stuck but as I gained experience, I can barely get it stuck now. IF I do get it stuck, the Citation is light enough to lift up with one hand:)

Anyways, what you should do is move your weight to left and right of the sled. Bring the right side up and let the left end sink and then do it the other way around. This lets you keep going...

-Jed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts