Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the sled world.
I'm looking to buy a couple snowmobiles this year for the first time.
I'm looking to just cruise the trails, nothing crazy. I'm going to look at a 94 yamaha vmax 500. The sled is in excellent condition with under 400 miles. Yes 400! The asking price is $1600. He is holding it for me first due to my quick inquiry. He also stated there are a few offers on the table. Any help with this decision is appreciated!

·
Registered
26,457 Posts
Welcome
First holding for you, with other offers on table, is a ploy!
400 miles may NOT be a good thing, it is over 25 years old
Even in perfect condition and running perfect, there is the fact you
could blow the track right out from under it first time out!

If it is meant to be it will be

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome
First holding for you, with other offers on table, is a ploy!
400 miles may NOT be a good thing, it is over 25 years old
Even in perfect condition and running perfect, there is the fact you
could blow the track right out from under it first time out!

If it is meant to be it will be
Are you referring to the track being old and Dry? I did some research. Successful guy, nice house. 😆

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
400 miles wouldn't bother me, the age of everything else would. Chaincase oil, track, bearings, heck even the front shocks on those weren't they built into the body? If so are they not a complete PITA to rebuild or replace? That alone would scare me off vs something that was newer age wise but with more miles. Plus it probably only has a 5/8" track as that was pretty standard back then which these days anything below .91" is considered not enough lug.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying. Remember there will be other sales out there possibly newer snowmobiles with around 2K in mileage for that 1600 dollars that are well taken care of as people like to start selling now and November for Christmas money or to pay their taxes,lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depends on what you want. I wouldn't think twice about track condition if it was dry n clean. I have 7 sleds, long tracks that are 96 or near and the tracks are fine.
I suspect that sled probably sold close to that price new.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
That sled sold for a lot more then that new try at least 5K if not more depending on options. Even if the track is dry and fine I would change it out to a higher lug those 5/8" lugs don't grab onto anything even on the way trails are done these days.

You will end up with something newer I'm betting with around 2-3,000 in miles for around the same price or a little bit more with recent normal maintenance that all of us do. October and November people drop them like crazy for cheaper then what they go for in December through March as then they drop them again. You see a lot of people pick them up cheap now, rebuild them for the winter then sell again in March/April for what they have into it because they figured they would use it more and they didn't.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It is priced for COVID. I picked up a 96 600 from a dealer pre covid for $500. It was in mint condition with 1900 miles on it. It has been a great runner and I have put 1500 miles on it the past few winters. You should be able to find something a little newer for that price.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Agreed with a much better suspension front and rear as well. I've seen all sorts of 2000 year models and up for around 1500-2500 with 2-3000 miles on them locally in damn near mint shape.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,160 Posts
Good chance that track is dry rotted. Multiple offers? Ya right...... He's just trying to get you to buy. Firm price? Sure, over the phone. Show up with greenbacks and nothing is firm. I refuse to negotiate over the phone... Price is too high, IMO.....There's always a ton of sleds for sale. More so with the popularity of SxSs.....
Doesn't hurt to take a looksy. It should idle on its own....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts