Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me? I just bought 2 used sleds this yr for me and my new bride because she thought it would be great to go riding together:eek: Anyway her '96 440 L/C has extremeley heavy steering and no traction. It does have new carbides but was told buy dealer they weren't agressive ones. I have checked toe and softened rear springs and taken all preload out of front ski shock springs. The limiter straps are all loose front and rear (was that way when i got it) The one thing i notice between hers and mine is the back half of her track does not touch the snow on flat surfaces. I'm assuming that is most of my problem. How do i fix this?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
^^^ X3!

A loose front limiter is a trick some people use to get their sleds to pull wheelies. When it's setup for wheelies, you lose your steering. Tighten it up to about 1/2 way between min and max, then test it. If it's still not steering, tighten it a bit more.

Also - check to see if your skis are aligned. Use a straightedge or a piece of twine tied to a couple jack-stands. Just touch the front and rear edge of track... and measure distance from edge to front and rear of ski. I think they're supposed to toe in about 1/4" (please correct me if I'm wrong - might be toe out...). If they're way off, that will cause darting as well.

As far as skags go - unless you're turning on ice and the track is studded, they shouldn't matter (agressive vs. non) much.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It's toe out!
Thanks RJ.

Three years without a sled to work on has made me stupid... My wife takes Ginko for that. Give me a Cat or a Polaris, and I'll be fine. :D

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
^^^^
Yes, but they have more friction. Having plastic skis can remove the friction (which is good on powder and going fast), and will make the no- traction problem worse. Correct the problem, then think about new skis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im having the same prob on a 97 ovation, it goes everywhere. It doesnt look like the limiter strap could be shortend. Does anybody know what might help this prob. If it matters my 10 year old 100 lb. daughter is the main rider but it still handles like crap for me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.