Snowmobile Forum banner

Cylinder scratches

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Coolhand 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Indy Trail where the cylinder has some scratches in it. Can it be honed or ru. It like it is?
Water Automotive tire Gas Circle Font

See less See more
#2 ·
Eh personally if it was mine I would just bore it .10 over just to be safe. Send both in and have both bored .10 to a place like Indy Specialties or US Chrome or SLP and if you buy the pistons/rings from them they will then match them up perfectly to the cylinders you sent in to be bored over.

But you can try to hone it and see what happens. If it is just a light scratch it might come out but if it grooved it any then no honing won't take it out.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, my nephew cant afford to get new pistons right now and pay for boring. I can just barely catch my fingernail on the scratches and they do no go all the way to the top. Im going to try a new piston and rings and see what type of compression i get

#10 ·
240 grit is what I normally use. If you've got no other options, hone it and send it!

That said, local machine shops around me would bore a pair of cylinders for ~$100, that might be worth the investment (especially if you have half that in the hone already) depending on if the bore has any taper or out of round too.

What was the cause for tear down?

#11 ·
I use anywhere from 180 up to 320 depending on the condition of the cylinders. And yeah a local shop can do those as well for decent price. I would bore them just to be safe but we all understand how money issues can stop that with not much time left in the season in most places unless you live out west, the UP, Alaska, Canada or some parts of the east coast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.