Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a fairly clean 2004 800 Edge. The only thing I noticed is that the air box was gutted and had had a custom foam ring that tried to seal to the hood. This wasn't a SLP Air horn kit that I'm use to seeing.

My question is, the air box had a little bit of grim in it. I'm thinking the foam could have shrunk and maybe not sealed properly or this isn't a big deal.

If the airbox isn't a 100% sealed from under-hood air. How big of issue is this? It could be sealed, and maybe some grim is normal. I guess that is why i'm asking.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with BC_dan, plus, I would really try to find a stock air box, I read an article once that talked about the technology that goes into air box design, and the BIG role the air box plays on air flow to the engine, and some of it talked about sound waves (resonance) and carb back pressure (much like exhaust back pressure), and how "gutting" an air box can actually hurt performance rather than enhance it.

See if you can find it online, the title was "air box, friend or foe?"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok good to know, but if it totally isn't sealed it's not causing engine problems in the future? I don't want a burned down engine down the road because of dirty air. I understand the running issues this could cause. I just don't want the engine being harmed by under hood air that is not filtered.

I guess that's another question is under hood air considered dirty!

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts