Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering if anyone knows how to take off a polaris xlt 600"s (1993) bearing off the crankshaft? im lucky and blew the secong one in on the clutch side but theres one before that i have to take off in order to change the broken one that seems to be pressed on?

·
Registered
323 Posts
they are pressed on, and thats one of the main reasons people who are handy enough to be able to fix there own sleds hate crankshafts, myself included, becase if you have a bearing issue, the only real way to deal with it is send it to a local shop that does sled cranks.

However, in your case you might be able to skirt by, but you will have to replace both bearings. If you are super super careful, you can cut the out bearing races off with a cut off wheel, get the ball bearings out, then being even MORE super super careful, cut the inner races with a cut off wheel (dont cut all the way through) put a chisel in the cut line and smack it, with a little luck you cut deep enough that the little bit of metal left will crack and you can slip the bearing race off. You do not want any cut lines in the crank or crank weights anywhere, thats why I stress super super careful.

After that if you know someone with a press, you can have new bearings pressed on. I replaced one outer bearing in my sled this year and the bearing was only $15.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good idea Snownstunt, I didnt know how tight the press fit is. The bearing i changed on mine this year, the inner race was turning on the crank, but the crank was ok, when I put the new bearing on the garage was cold, like 15 degrees, so I carefully heated the new bearing a little with a propane torch and it slid right on

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats what i was trying to do but the jaws dont have enough room in between the two bearings to fit.you mentioned cutting the one thats stuck on ill cut the broken one off scince its all loose and mangled and the jaws of the puller with fit perfect. thanks guys..oh and the bearing is gunna cost me 31 bucks..but before i found that price it was 70..my sleds to old so most places were i live have been tellin me its a dealer part but i found this sitenamed ronniesmailorder.com and everything on there is half the price atleast comparied to the polaris site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts