Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 89 phazer and rebuilt the motor, secondary clutch, replaced the primary clutch, and the breaks, belt and track. I want to set it up a little better for the trails so a high top speed really isn't that important to me. I want it to be a little quicker in the trails. I have 96 studs on it, and am thinking about installing a stiffer clutch spring, but what do you guys that have phazers set up for trail riding run as gears in your crankcase, and does it really help it out much? I just want it to pull a little harder coming out of corners and up hills. I appreciate any help, and safe riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I use the same chain if I drop down a tooth or do I need to change it. I think you could make up for the one less tooth with the chain tensioner, but I'm not real sure.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
you would need to know what the gears are now as well as the length of the chain. typically on the phazers your good to go, but it never hurts to be safe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it had 23 teeth on the top and 41 teeth on the bottom so I picked up a 21 tooth because the parts dept couldn't find me a 22. I have it all in, and the chain seems to fit good still, no extra movement or anything. I haven't drove it yet, but in the day light tomorrow I will check and see how she runs out. Thanks for the advice, and I look forward to lots of good info from this forum!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it for a nice test run and it performed way better on the trail, it pulls great out of corners and up hills, I also took it on the lake, and I didnt loose to much spped really, It would do about 80 before I changed the gears, and I can get it up to 75 so thats a bonus, but its a real good trail sled now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts