Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, sprayed starter fluid on carb boots, good there, sprayed behind clutch, seal on that side is good....how do i check mag side? is the only by doing a leakdown ???
never done this before

·
Super Moderator
16,797 Posts
Leakdown would be the only way. You would want to avoid spraying any flammable liquids/gas into the recoil, good chance the stator will ignite any flammable gas you spray in there. The mag side doesn't go bad as often as the PTO side, if that's any consolation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply BC, i doubt i do have a leak as sled starts real well, and idles ok. i think my issues might be due to either mixed up main jets, or mucked up carb. running lean only at higher speeds, rpm. but still want to rule out air leak, mainly to have piece of mind on that aspect. will get leakdown done and go from there !
thanks again !!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you've got time before the snow starts flying why not just replace them? mfgsupply has some really good rebuild kits that come with the crankseals. If you're worried about them now you will always worry about them. But as for testing the seal, I know a lot of people like starter fluid but personally I like a propane torch (used it many times for intake manifolds on cars), rather than spraying liquid and hoping it gets sucked in it releases gas which is sure to be brought into the crankcase if there's a leak. I'm not sure if the stator would spark it off but I would rather be playing with propane than ether any day...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've also heard of people pressurizing their crankcases and using leak tester on the outside but I've never tried it and I'm a little skeptical as to how safe that would be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not doing an overhaul, starts good, idles ok, good compression, only running lean at higher speeds,rpms, carbs and leakdown are surely next things to do.
thanks for all the input guys !

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one last question, what side has the bigger jet? jets might have got mixed up before i bought the sled....95 MX 470

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gotcha. thanks ! i have never worked on carbs much as you can tell, but learning crap loads on this forum !!

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
I would go one range colder on the plugs if I was running for long distance on the top end. after ruleing out the carbs as the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts