Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of small issues that maybe some of you Yamaha pros have a quick answer to. First off I just got back into snomachines last year after a ten year brake. I've heard that Yamaha's can be a little picky when it comes to their air, being that my 97 700SX has few years on her, the foam under the speedo/tach is breaking down along with the pre filter cover over the air box and I don't want the little pieces being sucked in to the carbs/motor. What is a good replacement for that other than OEM?, or should I just yard it off and run without it? Another issue is the temp light flashes on occasion, not the three times that I have read about being the temp sensor, but just likes to flash me once and awhile. Heat exchangers are warm, head is warm, not hot..; weird. I pulled it in the shop last night and what listening to it gurgle like there was air is the system. Pulled the seat, lifted the back up and the coolant was to the top of the bolt hole, no air. Did the same to the front bleed screw on the head, same thing.. coolant, no air but still gurgling?? And last for now, how big of a lug track can I put under this beast? I see Yamaha had put a track with little nubbins, a little better than a half inch with studs. Is that OEM? Would like to loose the studs. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
for the top of the airbox find some gutter guard open cell foam type stuff at your local home improvement store. cut and shape it to fit and glue it on. or price out new.
studs would not be factory installed. the stock track for that sled should have been around .92" lug heigth.
the random light flashing could be something wire related. loose connection, bad bulb, shorting out, etc. the self diagnosis function should flash three times on initial startup. after that, any thing the system detects would be in an obvious code flash. overheat is a constant fast flash. pay attention to the light if its showing any type of sequence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yamadad4; does that mean the 97 700s should flash three times at startup, if so mine does not flash. I was under the assumption that was on newer models. As far as the track, how big of a lug can I put on it? 1, 1 1/4? I was looking at some tracks at "tracksusa" and I guess the 1in is really a .91 The lugs currently on the machine are just a hair over 1/2. Thanks for all your help, I'll be glad when the manual gets here.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
your sled does have the self diagnosis function and should flash at startup. if it doesnt, dont worry about it. just confirm that the bulb is working. my 2000 700's self diagnosis quit working at startup and i spent countless hours troubleshooting with no conclusion. it performs all other functions except the startup and sled runs great and still runs great. you need that bulb to work in case of an overheat or other code flash.

as for the track, up to 1 1/4" will fit without studs or a driver change. i wouldnt go over 1" if studding although you may get alot of opinions on this.

i have a real nice track with the .92 lugs if your interested. like new, came off a ski-doo, made by camoplast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.