Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i feel stupid having two posts on my sled at once, but today ive been working on it all day, and this seems better then just adding it onto my other post

Ive finally got my sled ready to rip, everything works great, fixed my coolent, changed gear oil and antifreeze.

but i noticed my brake disc is really wobbly, it wobbles a little back and forth and it also moves forward and backwards over 1/2 inch!! , i would except a little play and it to "float" a little because of the way its setup, but is this a problem, what should i look for?

my friends jag 440 AFS has disk/w manual caliper and it moves also, so i think this might be normal

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Seems like there should be a bolt or clip that would steady the caliper, but if it works fine I wouldnt let it keep me from riding. If you call an Arctic Cat dealership they should be able to tell you over the phone if thats normal or not. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the key holding the hub to the counter shaft has loosened, it will continue to loosen till it has completely chewed through either the shaft or the hub, also the hub moving on the shaft will wear away the shaft to such a point that you will have to change both. if you fix it quick enough you MAY get away with just a brake disc, but if it moves as much as you say not likely. I picked up a used set for $100 and will change bearings while i'm at it, requires removing a lot of stuff, gears and chain, case, clutch. putting it off will cause other problems.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
There should be some side to side as the disk is supposed to "float" on the shaft.
Any other direction of movement is not desired and means that the disk hub is shot.
You will need to address this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts