Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In between breaking parts and trying to fine tune clutches and suspensions and I don't think its going to snow here this season. I've been experimenting with compounds and polishes. I have to say by far chemical guys stuff is great. I bought their hex pad set and a 4 piece compound set and something called Blacklight which i am not sure if its a sealer or what so I didnt use it on my yamaha due to fresh bodywork. The chemical set is #32, 34, 36, 38 in 16 oz bottles for $50 on sale now. The pads were alittle more. I use a 6 inch varible speed DA polisher for sleds because its small and I tore a windshield off with my rotary buffer once. Just too many small areas on a sled for it to grab. Anyway I did use the compounds on my yami and great results except the clearcoat wasn't cured enough so messed it up a little but my 94 wildcat 700EFI, holy cow, I never thought it was possible to get it to shine like that! I even used the 2 finer pads and compounds on the outside of windshield and worked better then any clear plastic polish I ever used. The "bad" part is matching the pad cut to the compound cut. The pads are color coded so I kept having to go to their website to see what was what. I think I am getting a system going. I really want to try this stuff on aluminum. Maybe tomorrow. I also have to do inside of windshield. I will post pics. I really dont have any before ones except my "garage". The wildcat looked pretty bad before, still has spider webbing on hood but it looks wet. As you can see on the yami, the clear started to "melt" but sure looks better then all scratched up.

Attachments

· Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I gotta replace that cat decal, its too dark. I took windshield off to do inside and top of hood. I must have caught a piece of dirt because I left swirls all over but got them out with next stage. I just gotta clean that pad good. Oh yeah, after removing windshield to do inside, I really saw no difference from before.

· Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Wildcat front end all painted(skis,control arms,ect)but it was parked in the mud before bringing it in.

· Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just finished the final polish on Yamaha. Put decals on also. Not bad for my first real attempt at sled bodywork.

Attachments

· Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now polishing tunnel. I've experimented with just about all chemicals and methods to do this quickly and I think I'm on to something. I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with backing plate and polishing wheel. At Menards, by the grinding wheels and polishing wheels, I found Emery compound and tripoli compound. I use this on my polishing wheel with the emery first and switch pads and use the tripoli. Very good results. Will not remove heavy, deep scratches but for normal neglect and wear, works perfect. Very hard to wipe down and dont touch decals or seat like I did. Then I follow up with Meguirs mag and aluminum polish by hand and in about 30 min(not paying too much to detail) I got these results. Its a little smugie but if you take your time like I did today, you can get mirror like results in a short amount of time. I did it quick at first as this was an experiment. Look to the right of the last A in yamaha, OOPS.
P.S. did not do footboard

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.