Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told two different things by both mechanics I use. One said you put the anti freeze up to the bottom line then it will rise up to the top line when it gets warm. The other guy said you put it at the top line and it will go down but shouldn't go past the bottom line wich is it?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
well the first guy might be talking about getting air out of the system. make sure you have the front of the sled jacked up on a snowbank so the air can run out of the heat exchangers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it is normal for anti freeze to go up. I thought I was overheating when there was a little puddle of anti freeze ontop of the cap. Thats good to know.

·
Registered
794 Posts
On my Doo's I go with the bottom line method also if I fill them to the top line it just pushes it out the overlflow tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! I've got a 1992 indy 500 and just did a complete rebuild of the motor and I was wondering how much coolant should I put into the radiator cap to fill it up before I do the bleeding process

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It is an guessing game. In order to get the air pressure out you have to fill up the coolant bottle to full, then fill it up as much as you can at the pressure cap then lift up the front end as high as you can get it so the front is much higher then the radiators on the tunnel. Start it up let it run with the pressure cap off and slowly over 10-15 minutes the air will release itself and when it opens up the you will see the levels drop. Just like on a car when putting in a new radiator or thermostat. That is how you bleed air pressure on a L/C snowmobile.

Also just a FYI always good to start your own thread instead of one from 10 years ago :)

Welcome!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
If you overfill it, it will just blow it out through the pressure relief. Better to overfill than the underfill.

Might be smelly, but then you'll know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts