Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Indy 400. There is a slow coolant leak coming from the long heat exchanger under the motor. Since it is riveted in with about 10 rivets, I didn't take it out. Does anyone know if there are more hoses under there that I can't see. Or is it possible that the heat exchanger itself has a crack in it?

Anybody ever have a similar problem, or know how to fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you checked your coolant hoses really carefully . I believe there is a hose that runs down the back of the engine to the exchanger and close to the base where it has a chance to chafe . A friend of mine had a problem like yours and thought it was the cooler , but it turned out to be a pinhole in a hose and the coolant was running down onto the exchanger. I'll check with him and make sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with 97 xlt & it turned out to be the coolant hose that runs verically down the backside of the motor. It was a little tight to get in there to see & also to repair but was done in a few hours!

·
Registered
2 Posts
also check your hoses that run under your clutch. My advice is wrap some rubber such as a larger diametr hose cut lenght wise around any hoses that rub on anything. Eventually they will wear through developing a leak. Been there done that,.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts