Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys have thought of this before but I'll just put it out there in case you haven't. I picked up an infrared temperature thermometer/detector from Radio Shack a while back. You can get them just about anywhere but the Radio Shack unit is small enough to fit in your pocket, about 3" by 1". Whatever the case, I've been using it on all sorts of stuff. Test tires on your trailer or truck to make sure they're properly inflated. Check engine or radiator temperatures for diagnostics..etc. However the BEST use for it so far is for determining which plug is misfiring on my XLT. With three cylinders you would have to remove as many as three plug wires to decide which plug is not firing, and even then sometimes its a little difficult to see which one is not working, or if its two of them! All ya have to do is point the sensor at the exhaust manifold right where they bolt on to the block and instantly see which one isn't working. It will be REAL obvious. The fouled plug yesterday was running about 109 degrees and the other two were running about 250-290 degrees F. I would imagine the 100 deg was due to the heat transfer from the running cylinder, or possibly an occasional missfire when it cleared up for a second. I'll be bringing mine on the trails this winter...it isn't as good as an EGT but at least it will get you in the ballpark when it comes to troubleshooting.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good idea. I think i should be getting one of those just cause.
New Tool!!!

dano

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was $40 or $50. I've seen them as much as $150 for the ones with laser pointers attached to them. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it only goes up to 400 degrees....but some of the more expensive ones do go up higher, I think I saw 1500 deg F

·
Registered
12 Posts
after you run the sled stop and throw a hand full of snow on the manifold you will tell which on is not firing trick we use in the mountians

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eags, its easier to pull three plug wires and get electrocuted in the process? Sure..go ahead. I've been running small engines for over 13 years and I'll bet that its WAY easier to hit a button on a sensor than to pull 3 plug wires while the engine is running. Better yet, sometimes when you pull the wire you foul another cylinder, making the problem worse! I agree your solution is way cheaper though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
well billdog350 for those of us tyhat dont have access to a raytek gun the old method is fine, ive been workin on sled and marine engines for a long time aswell and seldom get zapped..

dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plugs are just one application for the infared gun. Remember, this is a $40 tool...I'm not talking about the $200 ones out there. Regardless, I have also been reading that secondary clutch temperatures give you a good idea about the accuracy of your clutching setup...ex...a 160 degree secondary clutch temp after a WOT run means that you're slipping more than you should and power isn't getting to the ground.

I agree with you that for people who don't have an infared heat gun that the "old" method is fine....I'm just offering an alternative for people who might be interested in the "latest and greatest" out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts