Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 XCSP 600 with the exhaust valves and the motor just let go. I found a good deal on a 2002 XCSP 700 with exhaust valves. The problem is it doesn't come with carbs, clutch, or an exhaust. When I attempt to cross reference it in the online microfiche it shows they are different. I am wondering what the differences actually are.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Motor let go? Motors break cranks, fry pistons, blow seals, gaskets, etc. What let go? May be easier and cheaper to fix than swap the 700.

The 700 is a big block related the 800. The 600 is a small block related to the 440 and 500.

Carbs may be larger on the 700. I think they are TM40s. 600s run 38s. 38s could be used but you would have to start the jetting from scratch. Maybe just bigger mains, or originals if you never changed yours. Stock jetting on my 600 would probably be good to -50F @ sea level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't going to get to in depth on the old motor but its junk. Head gasket leaked antifreeze into the cylinder. Antifreeze stopped the piston mid stroke breaking the connecting rod. The motor continued running until my wife shut it off and the broken connecting rod came out the front of the case. It destroyed the case, crank, piston, and cylinder. That did not leave me with enough of a motor left to try and salvage it.

You are right about the carb. I was lucky enough to find a used dealer with a 700. He took my carbs, exhaust, and clutch and swapped them even for the ones coming with the new motor. The carb is bigger and jetted different. The exhaust expansion chamber is bigger. The clutch is obviously sprung and weighted different. Other than that the only thing that appears to need any mod is the oil line and oil cable because the oil pump is in a different location.

Motor is about half installed as I post this.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wasn't going to get to in depth on the old motor but its junk. Head gasket leaked antifreeze into the cylinder. Antifreeze stopped the piston mid stroke breaking the connecting rod. The motor continued running until my wife shut it off and the broken connecting rod came out the front of the case. It destroyed the case, crank, piston, and cylinder. That did not leave me with enough of a motor left to try and salvage it.
Was out with the wife the other day and at a stop I got off the sled to ask her how her sled was running. She looked kind of bugged, told me her sled was A OK and asked why I would ask such a thing. I just told her that if it ever seems a little different, tell me.

There are a couple of old engine models that i could almost rebuild in my sleep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.