Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm thinking of flushing my brake system and converting from DOT 3/4 to DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid. The benefits are obviously the boiling point increase, as well as corrosion protection and moisture resistance. As you may know, the normal DOT 3/4 fluid will absorb moisture and rust/corrode your brake system from the inside out. Since the whole brake system isn't too large, I don't see this as being a big deal. Any one do this or have any suggestions?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
DOT 4 fluid does a pretty good job of prohibiting corosion as it is. You could put in DOT 5, but there's not really a need to.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
use what the the manufacture recamend dot 3 and 4 are the same base but dot 5 is of a different base.DO NOT INTERCHANE THEM

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
well mabye the manufacture is on to some thing, dont interchange them. Brakes are a matter of life and death

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know this is a late post and i hope it aint to late... The manufacturer puts dot3 or 4 on certain machines for a reason. This being the calibration or valving of the master cylinder and brake caliper. Flushing the system will not get the fluid out in its entirety unless you replace all the parts. Downfall and voiding the warenty by mixing these result in the fluid expanding when mixing a dot3 with any silicone based fluid making the brake lever stiff and caliper lock up. Happens to motorcycles too, call a dealership and talk to a tech. Same as antifreze and Dexcool, the orange stuff, mixing these coagulates and becomes gelotanous meaning like a stiff Jello in your radiator. Seems like this is done by manufacturers for a reason. People using dot3 want dot 4 or higher silicone fluid thinking its better cause the new sleds have it, and new sled owners might buy dot 3 cause its cheaper. The only thing i can see better on dot4 or higher silicon fluid is that spilling some from a customers master resovoir onto his $2000.00 custom paintjob on his tank is that the dot4 wont eat the clearcoat...Dot 3 will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts