Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum, but am in many other forums, and have had sleds for about 20 years. I have a 1980 ARtic Cat Panther, 1981 moto-ski Mirage, and just got a 1996 Yamaha Vmax 600 this spring. Any how on to my problem, which is on the Mirage, I couldnt get it started this winter. my sleds have run every winter whenever we have enough snow to ride them, and are stored inside in a shed. After checking into the problem, I found no spark to 1 plug. So I found some instructions on how
to use a volt/ohm meter to test all the different stuff in the ignition system.
All is testing good except for the condensers. I just put new
points and condensers in this 2 years ago. And with this sled you have to pull
the engine out and then remove the recoil, fan pulley, and flywheel? (part with
the magnets on it), and this is no easy task. I am thinking it would be a good
idea if I can re-locate the condensers to out on the block where its easier to
get to them. My research on the internet says that todays condensers are probally china made and
dont hold up as well, and this explains why I am doing it again after only 2
years. And if I am going to have problems more often, why not make it easier to
change them? Can anyone see a problem with mounting the condensers on the outer
block and just run longer wires to them? Or does anyone know where I can get
condensers that are not cheap china crap that will last 5 or more years? Thanks
in advance.

Brian in IN

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had the exact same sled and problem with condensors. I finally got good ones from NAPA. I took my old ones in and they gave me 2 to match and no more problems for years after. I don't know about relocating them if it would affect timing or anything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how long ago did you get them condensers from napa? I read somewhere that the condensers have to be the correct ones as they are not all made the same, and wont all work in any application. And there are no numbers on mine where napa can cross reference them. also wonder if the ones at napa today are still good quality ones or cheap china crap.

Brian in IN

·
Registered
142 Posts
there still is condensors out there there is some original but a lot of aftermarket i tried aftermarket bad mistake i fianally converted to cdi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts